How important is it to know your and your significant other's blood type when having a baby?

I am not sure of my blood type but will find out in the next few weeks since I am going to my first doctor's appt tomorrow. My bf is not going with me so I will the only one that is getting blood tests etc tomorrow. Does anyone know exactly what will happen if our blood types are not compatable? I am sure my doctor will answer this question for me tomorrow but I am curious. He thinks he is B positive but I don't think he's 100 % sure. I am frustrated because I know my baby's health depends on this and he is just guessing. Nobody in his family is sure of his blood type. I wish he would take this more seriously and not just "guess" since my baby's health could depend on this. He frustrates me so much sometimes. He didn't even offer to go get a blood test to be 100% sure. Some times I don't even thinks he cares about my pregnancy. This is not something that can be half assed!

Joders82

Asked by Joders82 at 7:54 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The doctor will test your blood and if you are Rh incompatible,they will give you a shot. You don't need to know his.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think it's more important to know your blood type. If you are Rh-, then you will have to get a shot about 1/2 way through the pregnancy and when you have to baby.

If the blood types aren't compatible then you won't be able to carry the baby to term but that is really rare, I believe. I never remember being asked what the dad's blood type was.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 7:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It doesn't matter what your boyfriend's blood type is, only yours. If you are Rh-, then you will need a shot to protect the baby from incompatibility just in case the baby is Rh+.
    Anonymous

• If your test shows a negative blood type, then you'll need to find out for sure if he's negative or positive. (you'll need a certain shot if he's positive and you're negative).

If your test shows you have a positive blood type, then it won't matter.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:02 PM on May. 25, 2010

• It does matter what his blood type is. I am O-. My ex was A+ i had to get the Rh shot and they told me if he didnt get tested that they were going to give me the shot anyways just so there wouldnt be any risk.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:03 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My ex kept saying He was sure he was neg...he thought it was some conspiracy against him or something (me getting his blood)...what drama!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I am O+ and SO is O- i never got a shot my child is fine I never was asked fathers blood type or anything like that but if your already preg. and the baby is there it does not matter if something is wrong with the baby or not its your child and you should love it either way :)
    Anonymous

• You only need to know your blood type, not your boyfriends. Your OB/GYN will do a full blood workup and check everything for you. Just be sure to mention it.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• If your blood type is rh- then you will have to have a Rhogam shot. It's to protect your baby. If your baby's father is rh-, then it's really not needed, but generally they will give it to you anyway. If the baby's dad is rh+ then it is needed. When you have rh- blood and your baby has rh+, if the blood comes in contact your body will produce antibodies that basically attack the baby's blood. It is quite rare, and generally only happens at birth, but it can be very serious. The shot will prevent you from producing those antibodies, so even if your and baby's blood does come into contact baby will be okay. It's really not a big deal, it's a small shot at 28w in the hip/butt area and maybe another after 40w and maybe after birth depending on baby's blood type. It's nice to know dad's blood type, but they'll probably give you the shot no matter what type dad is if you are rh-.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:53 PM on May. 25, 2010