Is there any moms dealing with a kid who is occupational therapy?

well my son needs occupational therapy because he is alittle behind on his social skills, plus he does not say more than 50 words and he is almost 3. I take my son to the park everyday where did I go wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• You haven't done anything wrong. Though this does raise an all too familiar red flag for me. Take him to a developmental pediatrician and see what they think.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:27 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son has autism and has had OT for 5 yrs now. They've done wonders with him.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:31 PM on May. 25, 2010

• we love OT!!!! we take our 4 yr old every week and it's one of our favorite things to do together. my DS has autism. you might want to check into that. either way, have fun with it! you didn't do anything wrong!

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 8:44 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son was the same and I had him evaluated and he was diagnobsed with PDD-NOS (slight form of autism) He goes to pre-school now which is paid for by the school district and he gets OT,Speech therapy & now PT as well. I cannot say enough good things about his school they are awesome! I highly recommend getting an evaluation it was the best thing I ever did! You have done nothing wrong kids are all different. Good luck!
    paytonpants06

Answer by paytonpants06 at 8:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My son has high functioning autism and has been going to OT since preschool. You did nothing wrong! I agree with 2autisticsmom. I hope OT is as helpful for your child as it's been for mine. He is much more social, but we have a long way to go. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:10 PM on May. 25, 2010

• As pps have said, you did nothing wrong! Sometimes the brain just develops differently, but not because of anything you did or didn't do. The more important thing is that you are not ignoring the issues and are getting your child the help he needs now. It's easy to play the blame game, I did it for years b/c of the guilt I felt at not getting my son into therapy earlier, but after awhile you realize that it is just too draining & that your energies are better spent on working with your child than they are being wasted on non-productive guilt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Sweetie, you did nothing wrong and there is nothing wrong with your child. Your child just needs some special attention like a child who needs eyeglasses to see the chalkboard, or a child who needs a back brace for scoliosis, or a child who needs to check their blood sugars for their diabetes.
    OT can be a fun experience for a child, especially with a good therapist and an involved parent. My daughter had no clue that she was "working" or being "taught" things in OT....she thought that she was having a special playtime. And then she felt special when a speech therapist worked with her one-on-one in Head Start and once a week at home with her mommy (me). She also got to have OT at home twice a month for her gross and fine motor skills. Again, she thought it was all play!
    Today, she is a highly intelligent, normal young lady with a load of talent. We just need to have her hand tremors evaluated again in case more OT is needed.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:36 PM on May. 29, 2010