Proposal to lift ban on gays in military in doubt

WASHINGTON – A lukewarm endorsement from Defense Secretary Robert Gates and opposition among some lawmakers cast doubt Tuesday on whether Congress this week would lift a 17-year-old ban on gays serving openly in the military.

Delaying a vote until after the elections would prevent the issue from becoming the subject of midterm elections.

Do you think that is the real reason Obama hasn't moved on this quicker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I see the bus, it's coming.  And there is Obama, throwing gays under the wheels. 

Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Because he has a lot of more important things to fret over. im all for the ban being lifted but hes a very busy man that is trying (not succeeding very well)to fix this broken country.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 9:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't agree with this! I'm not against gays but many military people are! That's why there's a "don ask; don't tell" policy!! These people will be severely injured because the last thing anyone in the military will do is shower or sleep in the same area as a gay man!! If they become forced to do that a lot more are going to be hurt because of people snapping from that added pressure!!! Nobody even asked the military how they feel either, but it's something they all talk about and trying to get out before it becomes a must!
    Anonymous

• I'm not ok with the ban and I think it should be lifted. Why should they fight for everyone's freedoms but their own.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 9:26 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I think the ban should be lifted, but it's all political for Obama. He is currently too busy campaigning for Democrats to be concerned about this, and if he thinks it could be a political problem, he won't touch it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:43 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't think it's much of an important issue. Sure, the principal of the issue matters but my husband is in the military and believe me the gays are not hidden. Most of the people are going to keep it under wraps anyways to avoid any unnecessary drama. They will tell their close friends but that's about it. Sadly when you spend that much time with the same group of people it becomes high school all over again. You've got the good people and you 've got the people who feel it is their business to make everyone miserable. Most people gay or straight keep their personal business mostly to themselves for that reason. Should they be allowed to speak up sure but will they want to mostly likely not.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 11:26 PM on May. 25, 2010