bottle mouth

My baby is 11 month old now. He is still taking in fm 2 times a night. It's hard staying up to see if he finishes his bottle. He has 8 teeth now 4 on top and 4 on bottom. I am worried about him having cavities "bottle mouth". What should I do and when can I stop bottle feeding at night? Really don't want to let my baby CIO.

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 9:42 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• what i did was gave my son water at night in his bottle and nothing else.
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 9:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My doc said... ( MANY will disagree with this on here I've found) IT really worked for me.

My doc. said let her cry for up to 10 minutes. Usually your little one will fall back asleep. Try a tad longer if needed. You can go in there and give him a binki or a hug. Say night night and walk out ( letting him know you're still there) Then let him cry. Eventually he'll stop and you'll weed out the night feedings. It took 2 nights of doing that with my 6 month old. I felt bad for a bit. Now she's sleeping through the night. Wakes at 5 or 6 am, I feed her and she's just so much happier now, like she's well rested.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. : )
    Anonymous

• You can give him a bottle right before bed so you can brush his teeth, a water bottle, or just don't give him a bottle at all. You just can't give in mama.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• he is way beyond the point of needing to eat at night. no more night feedings and throw all the bottles away. trust me, it's not as hard as you are thinking it's going to be. i've done it with 3 kids (all different personalities), and i've never had more than a night or 2 of crying before they just started sleeping the whole way through
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:50 PM on May. 25, 2010

• i also agree with anon. we did that with my son around 8mo
    shorty_18

Answer by shorty_18 at 9:51 PM on May. 25, 2010

• If you don't want to take it away cold turkey then do it slowly. Cut down the number of ounces he's drinking at night. I had to do this to break my son of taking his bedtime bottle. It started with 8 ounces. The next night it was down to 7, then 6, etc. all the way to 1 ounce. After that I let him take the empty bottle to bed a couple nights and then it "disappeared" Lol. =) Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:24 PM on May. 25, 2010

• After you brush his teeth at night, he should only have water or breastmilk.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 PM on May. 25, 2010

• give him a routine to follow everyday if he's not on one, try feeding him, than giving him a bath or wipe down, the give him a bottle right before bed
    paradyxe28

Answer by paradyxe28 at 10:50 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Just give him a bottle of water instead. There is no reason he needs to eat in the middle of the night at this age...he's just used to it. (If you eat at 11 am every day for 3 weeks and then you don't one day, you're hungry, right?...your body gets used to things).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:05 PM on May. 25, 2010

• well two thoughts. First, leave a bottle with water in his crib at night. we did that and then around 13 months, threw out EVERY bottle in the house and went to sippy's. My daughter only gets milk and water. Milk with meals and water whenever she wants. She's a thirsty kid so she goes to bed with water and that has solved our problem.
    first-one

Answer by first-one at 12:03 AM on May. 26, 2010