brown recluse spiders....

my husband went to urgent care yesterday because he got bit by something. he has a bit knot on his back and the doctor looked at it and said that he's pretty sure he got bit by a brown recluse spider.

he was given 2 different type of antibotics and will be following up with our PCP on friday.

anyone been bit by this type of spider? did it heal okay?

MommyToEthan

Asked by MommyToEthan at 9:51 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Health

• hmm not by a brown recluse but my grandpop got bitten by a black widow and he was ok.... it's good that he got to the dr. right away
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My friend was bitten by one and didnt get to the doc til it was really infected. they dosed her witi tons of antibiotics and eventually had to lance it but she healed great after alot of pain.
    renniemom3

Answer by renniemom3 at 9:55 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My husband was bitten about 10 yrs ago on the back of his calf while camping.. Brown recluse spider bite can be very dangerous. Make sure your husbnd takes the anitbiotics as ordered, finishing ALL of them. Follow up with your PCP as scheduled. Keep a close eye on the bite. If tissue begins to turn dark brown or black call your Dr. immediately. My husband wound up having a 3inch diameter area excised surgically to remove the necrotic(dead) tissue. MOST heal well with treatment..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:56 PM on May. 25, 2010

• my stepdad lost his arm from the elbow down after being bitten by a brown recluse. your DH should be fine though. SF was to proud and stupid to go to the hospital, or he would have his arm right now lol
    Anonymous

• I got bit by one a couple years ago. I didn't go to the doctor until I had lanced it myself. It got really big and pussy. Black goo came out of it. I was given anti-biotics. I still have the scar from it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:09 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Since it was treated, he'll be fine. Had you left it untreated it could have been deadly... But with treatments, it will be no issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:18 PM on May. 25, 2010

• He should be fine, since he got treatment. My dad got bitten about 2 weeks ago and ended up in the hospital with a MRSA infection. The spider venom did begin to turn the skin black, and the dr. has kept a close eye on it, but it's getting better. It does take a long time to heal. I just heard a news story where a women lost her breast from one of these bites. If you get treatment quickly, I think it's less dangerous. We've had 2 in the house since my dad got bit (his house is in in very wooded area) and I'm a little freaked out by them!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:25 PM on May. 25, 2010

• thanks all.
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 8:45 AM on May. 26, 2010