does your husband goto the kids dr appt's (wellness, shots, etc) ??

I am asking this 'cuz of a "coping" question someone asked last night. several mom's commented how their men never attended dr's appt's of the kids. WTF? How could they not wanna see the height/weight, ask questions, be there for shots, etc etc? I thought I had it bad. But apparently not as bad as some. If your boyfriend/husband purposely skips these, explain why? other than deployed obviously....

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:08 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, he does. Every single one for each of his three children. In fact, the mother of his older two boys has stated that she refuses to tell him when they have doctor's appointments, the doctor will not call him when she makes appointments for them, so he calls the doctor's office every other day to ask if the boys have appointments that day.

To be fair, though, he works from home and has more flexibility in his schedule than many do.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• my sons 6 months...he hasnt been since the first one. but he's requesting the next time he has a dr. appt off from work
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 10:10 PM on May. 25, 2010

• not a one. he is at work and i am perfectly capable of relaying the info. to him when he gets home. what's the big deal?

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:10 PM on May. 25, 2010

• No, he doesn't usually go. When he was working, he was at work, so that wasn't an option. I just told him how big they were and whatnot... And now that he's home full time he watches which ever one isn't going. But we don't do shots, so that's not a worry... Just height & weight and such... And I can tell him all that just as well as any doctor can.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 PM on May. 25, 2010

• He went when our oldest was a baby, because he worked late, and we only had one. But now it's just easier for him not to go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:16 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I have to agree with princessbeth on this one. Why should both of us miss work and pay for a check up or shots.. I can tell him how much the baby has grown, how many shots she/he got and how much they cried or didn't cry.. Over my 17 years of going to the Dr with the kids, I have only seen a handful of dad's there with the mom. WOW, so now dad's not going to the appointments make them bad, that's a new one for me. I thought they had other things to worry about like providing for the family.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:19 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My husband has been to most of them, and most of the "sick" appointments, unless he's out of town. I know he's special though :) We tried for such a long time and he has such a strong bond with our daughter that he doesn't want to miss anything. Plus, his dad worked so much and wasn't really that involved with him and his brother when they were little. Now his dad regrets that, and I think hubby sees that. Luckily our Dr. tries to schedule well child visits between 4-7 so parents can come together. I know this might change when we have another child someday.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:21 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Like I said, I meant purposely. Not that the appt. was at noon and he'd get fired if he went to all of 'em....... like didn't care to go, wanna go, had more important things to do, tv, golf, fishing, sleeping in, etc etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• My husband has never been to my daughters doctors appts. He works a lot more than I do and we rarely have the same weekday off. Besides I don't really see the need for both of us to go I can give him all the info when I get home. The one time that my daughter was seriously sick and needed to go to the er he did go with us.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:28 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I don't understand why he would need to be there. I just don't see why it is such a "gasp" moment for them to not be there like they are letting you or the kid down.
    Gee little billy it is a shame daddy doesn't love you enough to see this nurse weigh you. He would rather be at work making the money that pays for the roof over your head and the car that got us here. I guess I will just have to call him and tell him how much you weigh. Poor me and poor you.
    I have 4 kids and it is NOT a big deal for him to be there at each appointment.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:31 PM on May. 25, 2010