Need inspiration to do things with my kids...help

I have a 1.5 year old and a 3 year old and i feel like i got so lazy lately and all i do its just stay home with kids and do nothing..watch tv or stay on internet and give kids no quality time. i dont feel like i give them much staying home when i dont work (i work 2 days a week at nights)...i feel like anything i do is soo dificult with 2 little kids that i just have no motivation or desire to even go to grocery store with them..

Days are sooo boring and long and it could be soo different...i honestly dont know what to do at home with kids other than eat:) crayons , painting dont work because they paint everywhere and i cant read them a book together because they either not interested or interested too much and end up fight over that..oohhh..if i bake with them i have the rest of the day to clean the mess and i just dont know what to do....

i just need some good advise on how to enjoy time with my kids..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on May. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• by the way i live in the country 1.5 hours away from closest city
    Anonymous

• Get a dial type timer and set it and hide it in the room. The children have to find it before the bell dings. They have to move around the room and listen for the ticking. :)

Get or make some flash cards. Alphabet for the older child, animal or shape for the younger.

Answer by Bmat at 10:37 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Get out of the house! walk and play outside.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:45 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Get out of the house. Go for a walk. Make it a themed walk (colors, shapes, counting, etc.Point out everything in that theme) Blow bubbles outside. Kick a ball around the yard. Play imagination and listening games like "stop and go." Kids this age love to follow the leader. Have them jump up then crouch down. Have them run forward then backward. Have them hop ten times then hop in a circle. Have them pretend to be different things - bark like a dog, meow like a cat, fly like a plane, jump like a kangaroo, slither like a snake, flap your wings like a bird, stretch way up high like a giraffe, flap your ears like an elephant, sniff the ground like a dog, etc. Do ring a round the rosie. Do "Sleeping Bunny" Sing sleep little bunny, sleep, sleep, sleep (3x) Wake Little Bunny, Wake, Wake Wake(1x) Jump Little Bunny, Jump, Jump, Jump (3x) Stop Little Bunny Stop Stop Stop (1x)...all the while they're the bunnies, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:52 PM on May. 25, 2010

• Get some side walk chalk and finger paints - play outside and hose everyone and everything down afterwards.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:53 PM on May. 25, 2010

• if you're spending that much time watching tv and on the internet, your kids are obviously pretty good at entertaining themselves. do you think you could devote just 15 minutes a day of unfocused time to each child individually? it would make a big difference. talk to them about what they want to talk about, let them play games they make up or other age appropriate games. when my daughter was 1.5, she liked books with pictures of babies, baths, drums, walks, simple games. when she was three, she liked books, painting, outside play (slides, swings, etc.), animals, other children her age, swimming. letting them learn to entertain themselves is a good skill for them to have as long as you are not relying on movies/tv to parent them.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:57 PM on May. 25, 2010

• The reason they make messes is because you havent' spent the time to show them how to do the activity properly. You cant give up on teaching a child something b/c you don't want to clean up the mess. While its good they can obviously entertain thierselves you need to spend more time doing things with them or they will not learn. The will eventually learn to sit quietly while reading if you repeatedly sit them back down and finish the book....sit them back down as many times as it takes until they sit and listen. When I worked at the daycare in the infant room(24months and under) it would sometimes take 15mins to read one picture book b/c I would have to stop so often to sit someone back down but after a week or so everyone will sit nicely and listen to the book. You just have to have patience.
    bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 1:48 AM on May. 26, 2010

• sounds silly but I took my nephews outside with a plastic bag and we collected rocks then we plainted them. (paint outside with them, in clothes you don't mind getting dirty. Find motivation, this is the age they need you to teach them things. PLay dress up. Search the internet for a community center in the town (I know 1.5 hours away) but find a childrens play date class once a week and make the trip to town.
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 1:49 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I hear you on the living in the middle of nowhere! me too...closet store is 30 miles...and it is 90 miles to anything with real traffic, lol......I to am a stay at home mom and really am lost when it comes to my 5 yr old son...I feel bad that he has nobody to play with but yet I am too bored with my own life to go outside and play with him...Doesn't matter really cuz he says "moms don't play with boys"
    your kids are still very young...all you really need to do for them at this age is sit on the floor and let them come to you with toys and interaction....you can do simple things like rolling a ball back and forth to them or playing with their toys..with them
    Read a book while they take a bath and that should get them interested in listening.
    It is really just the age and right now they are more work then anything...why not just tickle them or blow bubbles? they are easy at this age..just wait 10 yrs it will be really hard!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on May. 26, 2010

• http://www.toddler-activities-at-home.com/
    http://www.toddlertoddler.com/
    http://www.clever-toddler-activities.com/
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:18 AM on May. 26, 2010