does anyone have good recipes for Prosciutto? or what the best kind to get? brand,quality, etc

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 11:07 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Food & Drink

• The best stuff is imported from Italy, but it's PRICEY. We rarely bought it when I was growing up. My mom would use it to wrap hardboiled eggs, of all things!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I order from capriflavors.com. That's where I get a lot of my imported Italian ingredients. One way that I cook it is by wrapping it around chicken breasts and simmering it in a homemade marinara sauce or a good quality marinara sauce. The fat from the proscuitto melts into the chicken and it is so good. I can give you the recipe.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:21 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Grilled asparagus wrapped in proscuitto is to die for. I also made a goat cheese stuffed date wrapped in proscuitto appetizer that everyone loved.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:40 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Proscuitto di Parma is the absolute best. Yes, pricey, but totally worth. Make sure you get it thinly sliced, so thin that you can see through it when you hold it up to the light.

I'm Italian (my family is from Parma actually) and I totally grew up with it. IMO, the best recipes for proscuitto are raw, not cooked in meals/recipe (that's what pancetta is used for in Italy). Wrap it around slices of cantaloupe for a fresh appetizer, wrap it around veggies (grilled asparagus that the previous poster mentioned is awesome), or serve it as part of an antipasto platter. Other than that, the only way Italians would eat it is in a sandwich, plain (no cheese, lettuce, other condiments) on a good quality italian bread. Any other way would be sacrilegious :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on May. 30, 2010