I'm trying to put my baby down to sleep (6months) when he's tired but the min. I put him down he cries non stop so I pick him up & he's perfect then goes to sleep in my arms

I don't want to put him to sleep every nap, every night like this should I just make him cry it out??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on May. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know a lot of people say not to get your child used to rocking them asleep, but I did that with my first and it's not affected her at all. She's 3 now, we stopped rocking her to sleep when she was about 18 months and we haven't really had a problem getting her to bed since then.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 11:48 PM on May. 25, 2010

• If nursing or rocking baby to sleep is what helps them get to sleep then that is fine. I always nursed/rocked my kids to sleep for all naps/bedtime until one year old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:54 PM on May. 25, 2010

• I let mine cry. She was a crier from birth to around 5 mos. She cried whether or not I held her. We would let her cry for about 10 mins, I'd pat her and then she'd sleep. IT wasn't that bad.
    Anonymous

• I can't remember, but either at 6 months or 9 months we moved DD out of our bed into her crib. I let her cry it out, with the checking every 5, 10, 15 minutes. And I only had to do that two nights. After that we've had no problem. She is almost two and made an easy transition to her Big Girl Bed. Just my two cents... however, you do what makes you comfortable and happy!
    first-one

Answer by first-one at 12:01 AM on May. 26, 2010

• i would just speak softly to my daughter and rub her back. if she got more worked up and didn't calm down, i'd pick her back up... try again when she was calmer. i'd also tell her what i was doing, tell her it's bedtime - just because babies can't express themselves in words does not mean they don't understand what you're saying. a little crying is not going to hurt her. one thing that made a big difference in my life was recognizing that there was more crying if my daughter got overtired. maybe try putting her to bed a little earlier and see if it makes a difference.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 12:02 AM on May. 26, 2010

• sorry - i mean him
    figaro8895

• swaddle him. they feel comforted that way. hope this helps.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 12:48 AM on May. 26, 2010

• When you put him down, lean in the crib (your whole body)and hold the baby in the crib.and gradually break away by first removing your chest, then one arm...leave a warm hand on his back for a few minutes. It is a pain in the back, but it works. TaKE YOUR TIME.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:05 AM on May. 26, 2010

• If this is a new thing you may want to check about an ear infection or see if baby is teething, either or can lead to a lot of pain when laid down and baby should not be left to CIO.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Is this something new you're doing? If it's new, it's going to take him some time to get used to it. Have you tried some soft music in his room?

Answer by missanc at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2010