What can I do about my dogs next to daycare?

Ok, trying to make long story short. I have 3 dogs, and I rent the apartment (and fenced yard) next to my daughters daycare. My landlord is also daycare owner. My dogs go outside and the kids have been throwing rocks, digging under the fence, sticking fingers through,and generally taunting/teasing my dogs. I have spoken with daycare director at least 3 other times, and today. My adult dog is becoming very agitated (understandably)when the kids tease her, and I'm trying to prevent someone getting hurt (absolute worst case senario). Today I spoke with her again and she will not just tell the teachers to keep the kids back from the fence. "Its their play space too". The owner was also in the discussion, but is very passive, and while she agreed with me, wouldn't lay down the law. What else can I do to protect my dogs? (My adult is a Pit so if anything happens she would get blamed) CONTINUED BELOW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Pets

• The director kept saying she didn't want my dogs out there when the kids are out playing. I rent the property all the time, not just when the kids are inside. The fence is 8 ft chainlink, with privacy slats through it. Enough for the small rocks that make up the surface of play area, as well as little fingers to get through. Usually she and I get along well, but she has already told me she does not like Pitbulls, so that's why this is escalating. Who's responsible for what? I don't think I can do anything. I don't want my dogs hurt. I do not want the children hurt, which I am growing concerned about because they are teasing the dogs. I am out there with my dogs at all times, and have had to speak to the children myself on several occassions. Do I keep a paper trail? If so, of what? Please help!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on May. 26, 2010

• i wonder why she rented to you , if she doesnt like pitts?or the director and owner are 2 different people? either way i guess, i mean she had to have thought of that. and she has to know dogs have to go outside sometime. this is quite the quandry here. have you called the police, or animal control to find out what your rights are? because, unless its in your rental agreement, no one can tell you to keep your dogs in when the kids are outside. and you can be evicted for doing something thats not in your rental agrrement either, at least not that. as far as a paper ttrial, thats a hard one. the only way i can think of, is to have a mini-recorder on hand during your discussions, and when its done, go back inside and say the date on the record, or even ask her casually, what is the date today? i am just so surprised she rented to you, next door to a day care, with a pitt. i personally love pitts, but, on her part, ya know?
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 12:17 AM on May. 26, 2010

• cant* be veicted, sorry! and good luck if i think of anything else ill let you know
    jeanniegirl82

Answer by jeanniegirl82 at 12:18 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yeah that has to stop, you'd think they'd be a little more concerned about the potential for the children to get bit, any dog that gets teased could eventually snap and bite their harasser!

Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:18 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Would it be possible to speak with the teachers, since they are ultimately the ones allowing this sort of behavior? Or maybe voice your concerns about the children being allowed to do this to the other parents? Beyond that, make sure you have record of warning both the landlord and the daycare director about the children's behavior agitating the dogs and of their responses, etc. Also make sure that you have done all you can to keep the dogs in their area. The play spaces may share a fence, but that does not excuse the director's reason for not preventing the kids from risking their fingers (worst case scenario). Just because a play ground shares space with a culvert, doesn't mean the kids are allowed to play in or around it and risk falling in; same concept here.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:19 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I honestly would discuss this issue with a lawyer, often times you can get a free consultation. You need to find out what your rights are and if a kid is bitten by your dog, what the heck will happen. You are the one screaming out here for cooperation from this daycare facility and they are the ones who are not working with you. At the very least, they could put in a metal fence 3ft beyond your fence. I mean really, how hard could that be? Bottom line is that the parents dont even know you exsist or are trying to help protect the children as well as the dogs. The last thing you need is a child to get bitten and the day care points the finger at you and says they have been doing everything they can to get you to restrain your dog. Last resort, put in a fence where the kids cant see the dogs and the dogs cant see the kids, good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 26, 2010

• As much as it sucks I'd just bring my dogs in when they kids are out, better than one of your dogs getting hurt or biting a kid and having to be put down :(

If you didn't rent from the preschool owner I'd call the cops and complain and if they didn't do anything about it I might just start turning the hose on kids that get too close lol... but in this situation I'm sure it would cause too many problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on May. 26, 2010

• The owner knows what dogs I have, and has no problem with Pits (she has/had Rotts, Dobes, GSD, etc). She agrees with me that the solution is to keep the kids away from the fence. No big deal. Her director is who is making a huge deal out of it. She does not like Pits. The owner is kind of a pushover, and wont lay down the law and say keep the kids away from the fence. I'm looking for suggestions on who I can call to find out how I can solve this, as I am doing everything a responsible pet owner and tenant can possibly do. I am also trying to cover my and my dog's behind should something happen. Like I said, because she's a Pit, she's already condemned, even if the teasing has been going on for months (i'll move before I allow that, but just an example) So any suggestions would be more than welcome!!
    Anonymous

• If your dog bit one of them even with all that you've tried to do and even though it was being harassed day after day the dog and you would be at fault. I've even heard of people trespassing or breaking into a home getting bit and being able to successfully sue and/or have the dog put down... and that's when someone is illegally on your property!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 12:26 AM on May. 26, 2010

• OP HERE: I love the daycare, on a regular basis. The sticking point is the director right now. The owner is pretty much a pushover, so idk what to do. I've spoken to the teachers, the problem being they continue to be lazy and not watch whether the kids are by the fence or not. (or whether they are teasing the dogs are not). I have never seen more than 2 other parents actually come to the center. The rest of the kids are taken home on the vans. So not really an option there. How would I start documenting this? I could videotape it, but as far as keeping track of formally telling the director in writing there is a problem what all do I need? I'm calling a few lawyers tomorrow, as well as a tenant rescource center, and the state dept. of licensing to see legally what can be done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on May. 26, 2010