My dog has been eating the strangest thing! Is he the only one?

I just had a baby four weeks ago, I just recently stopped bleeding. While I do try to keep the door to our bathroom shut when we leave the house, it doesn't always happen (espcially if dh is the last to leave). If it does get left open, I ALWAYS come home to our bathroom garbage being strewn about the bathroom floor with my pads opened up and the bloody part GONE. I know the dog is eating it, because he threw it up one time and there it was. Also, our lawn has scraps of pad all over it from the dogs poop. SO GROSS, and sorry if TMI, but I just gotta know if my dog is the only one that loves to snack on old bloody maxi pads.

AngelPuff1012

Asked by AngelPuff1012 at 1:11 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Pets

• Ewwww...so gross! My dog used to eat my dirty underwear, though. There was no blood in them, at least I don't think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My dog is also guilty of that, what we had to do was get a garbage can with a lid on it (although sometimes this won't work, a friend of mine has a dog that can get anything open) but then, my dog will eat anything that I don't want him to, like when he gets into the garden and eats my potatoes....
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 1:17 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Dogs like diapers and tampons/pads google it, this is very common behavior. Yes it is gross but very normal. When my kids were still in diapers we made sure to have trash cans with lids that closed snugly, when i am on my period i keep the bathroom door closed and take the trash out every night. other than keeping those areas closed off there is nothing you can do to stop it, but swallowing that pad material is bad for them so I would just keep on top of it. You could even keep a ziploc bag in a place the dog cant get to, and put your pads in there and then take them to your outside trash at night.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:22 AM on May. 26, 2010

• unfortunatly a lot of dogs do this
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:56 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It is so gross, but your dog is not the only one. I have to watch my dog carefully because he will do the same thing. He will also eat the crotch out of any pants or panties if they are left on the floor, but only those worn by the females that live here.
    Anonymous

• LOL, you're certainly not the only one. My dog loves gross things like that. I wrap them up in the plastic off of the new pad I am using (and they have a little piece of tape on them so it holds together) he leaves them alone when I do that.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:49 PM on May. 27, 2010

• mine do too. i currently have shih tzu that is a vaccum and pretty much eats everything on the ground as if she is starved but she is the fattest of all of my shih tzus
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:28 PM on May. 27, 2010