school testing question 3year old

Hi~
I took my son in for his first testing today with my local school to see if they think my son need or quailfies for help through them. He will be 3 on june 29th. we have been doing ot and speech since he was 19 months old, in october of 2009 he started going to a preschool 2 days a week for 3 hrs and in december he was diagnost with pdd-nos and then got retested 2 weeks ago but have not got the report back yet. Well today in the test he hid behind me and under my chair for the first 30 minutes and then after one of the ladies left we finally got him to come out and do puzzles and puppets. I am just wondering if this would be a normal thing for kids during this kind of testing?

magnane

Asked by magnane at 1:21 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• he's not yet 3 and most young kids in new situations act well like kids. I wouldn't worry about the fact he was less than happy to get this test done with a complete stranger in a new location. I'd just take it as typical kid reaction to the unknown. Sounds pretty normal to me. : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• yes i do K entrance testing and even 5 yr olds will sometimes refuse to answer me/ look at me! ... and i bribe them with foods (yes i check the allergy list before doing so) i do my best to make sure they are comfortable ... but still some get scared... others love it. yes that isnt weird at all.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:37 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Not a big surprise on the testing.. My son just turned 3 a month ago and we went through the same school testing. (He has developmental delays but isn't autistic). He was cooperatvie part of the time and spent the rest asking where mommy/daddy where... One question for you however, your diagnosis of PDD-NOS is coming from a doctor not the school, right? The school is just doing the testing to determine appropriate placement and resources?
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 11:49 AM on May. 26, 2010

• momofryan07~
    that is correct the diagnose came from a doctor and the school is testing him for placement and to see what help he needs. I was in the room the whole time and when i asked him to do something for me he would do it but then went back and hide.
    magnane

Answer by magnane at 12:36 PM on May. 26, 2010