Would you support this?

Would you support a new piece of legislation that REQUIRED medical professionals to inform new parents about SIDS and SIDS Prevention, as well as, providing new parents with an informational pamphlet about SIDS before parents and baby are discharged from the hospital?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• depends on how accurate the information is.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:30 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I always support dissemination of accurate information. Problem is that giving it doesn't mean it will be received.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:32 AM on May. 26, 2010

• What info do you want? I'm pretty sure most hospitals do the back to sleep campaign, everyone is screened for smoking and if they do smoke, counseled about smoking, and I'm pretty sure they talk about not co-sleeping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Why wouldn't you support it? Lots of parents are nervous and don't know how to properly care for a newborn. People try and just go with the flow. Education on that sort of stuff is great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on May. 26, 2010

• OP here: I realize that most hospitals touch on the subject briefly but do they discuss it with every single patient routinely? My hopes are to make sure every single new parent is informed and NO ONE slips through the cracks. Prior to having my first baby, I had heard of SIDS but I didn't know what it was. Common sense and friends and family told me to place my daughter on her back and to keep anything from obstructing her breathing. My DD still succumbed to SIDS. It wasn't until after her death, I learned more about SIDS and the resources available to SIDS affected families. I think if every new parent is informed, those few parents who are completely oblivious to what SIDS is are more likely to make smarter decisions regarding their baby and their baby's sleep environment. I've met several people that had no idea what SIDS was until I explained it to them and they have children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• absolutely. the hospital where I had my daughter had the sids info and shaken baby info on a channel on the tv and you had to sign that you watched them before discharge. hubby even had to sign off that he watched.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:01 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Of course I would. It never hurts to be informed. And that information could potentially save babies' lives and save parents from a lifetime of heartbreak.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:14 AM on May. 26, 2010

• it never helps to be informed but how informed can you be about SIDS? its so unknown.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:43 AM on May. 26, 2010

• There are many things that help contribute to SIDS... And it's really sad. Bumper pads, I see them in almost every nursery that people do. When will they learn? Get the mesh ones. Don't let your baby sleep with blankets. Limit clothing to what is absolutely necessary. Have proper circulation of air in the room. A fan is sufficient. Watch out for fragrance for homes. That can cut off some air for babies. Don't let them sleep with you. Don't smoke around them. Then just random stuff like more boys are prone to SIDS than girls and the month of October is known for the most deaths related to SIDS.

I am 100% for educating parents better, because enough is not being done. Manufacturers need to stop making the unsafe bumpers, people need to be informed that the risks are there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on May. 26, 2010

• No, legislation just means more red tape and crap at the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on May. 26, 2010