Carpet is still wet!! Help?

My main water line broke yesterday and it flooded the downstairs bathroom. That in turn led to the carpet in the hallway getting flooded out. So the plumber came out today and fixed the problem but my carpet is still soaked. Any ideas besides fans and towels? Am I going to end up with milldo from this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you own a carpet cleaner or can rent one, you can use it to suck up any extra water and then place a fan in the hallway to help dry it a little faster.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Can you get a power vacuum that is made for water messes to help soak up the water? I would worry about mildew, when our bathroom flooded into the office, they ripped up the carpet and put those huge blowers going for over 24 hours. Dare I say it was for 2 days? Blocked it out it was such a nightmare!
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 1:37 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Oh thank you so much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on May. 26, 2010

• You will not be able to dry it without pulling the carpet back and removing the pad. If you think you can do it yourself, go for it. Most homeowners can't, because they can't replace the pad and reinstall the carpet. This is where calling a professional in would be REALLY helpful. Otherwise, your carpet will end up ruined and yes, you will have nasty, stinky mildewy odor, I promise. If you are hellbent on doing it yourself, pull back the carpet from the wall, cut out all the wet pad, spray down the subfloor and both sides of the carpet with Lysol, and put fans on it. If you have a dehumidifier, set it up there as well. When it's completely dry, you can install new padding, and attempt to reinstall the carpet, but unless you're in the carpet business, it probably won't look right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Call your homeowners' insurance rep, and ask what they recommend. They may send a clean-up crew to remove the carpet and suck up the water, and install dehumidifiers for a few days.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:38 AM on May. 26, 2010

• THIS HAPPENED TO USE A FEW MONTHS AGO GET A SHOP VACUUM AND VACUUM IT UP.....MY CARPET IS NOW FINE ...... ALSO USE PLENTY OF FANS.......WE ALSO HAD WATER IN OUR AC VENTS (CAUSE THERE IN THE FLOOR) SO WE SHOP VACUUMED AND PUT THE HEATER ON AND THE HOUSE DOESN'T STINK AND EVERYTHING IS NICE AND DRY NOW.....GL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 3:56 PM on May. 27, 2010