2 year old only eats sweets and is under weight

My 2 year old nephew doesn't eat anything but chicken nuggets and cookies. And my in-laws give him only that stuff. He's always been underweight and he barely weighs 25 lbs. His doctor says he's malnurished and prescribed pediasure. he has to drink one every night before bed. Would you consider this neglect or abuse? I don't know what to think. They are great parents other than giving in to him with what he wants to eat. I know there are picky eaters, but they are continuing with these eating habits even after the doctor prescribed pediasure. Wouldn't most parents enforce good eating habits once the child's weight and health are becoming a problem? Wouldn't you start good eating habits from the beginning?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• neglect IS abuse, so both.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:56 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My son weighs about that and he's almost 3. He's a very light eater even though he's offered a variety of foods. MAybe they just give him junk so he'll eat something. The doctor is aware, if the child was being neglected he would report it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yeah, letting kids be that picky is a problem that started long before two and can be avoided. And just letting kids eat what they want at 2 has long-term repercussions... I have a second cousin who ONLY eats cheese pizza and only from Pizza Hut... he was still that way when he graduated form high school. I mean, he brought his own pizza to other kids' b-day parties and whatnot, that's truly ALL he ate. It's pathological, and would be almost laughable if it wasn't so horribly awful for his health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I would think that if the child won't eat his dinner, don't give him anything else, and if they get hungry try the dinner again. this is how my mom did it with me. She said eventually I got hungry and ate what she cooked. I wouldn't think a child would starve himself. He would eventually eat.
    Anonymous

• That poor child is malnourished and on the road to a life of health issues. I would contact child services

Answer by rkoloms at 7:56 PM on May. 26, 2010