Can you bresatfeed if your on birthcontrol?

I got my first shot of the depo birthcontrol in the hospital after having my baby last week. Im bf and formula feeding my baby. In worried everytime i nurse my baby because of the depo. Is it ok or should i just switch to formula only?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it depends on the type of birth control i have mirena and my dr said it was okay to nurse but i believe some you cannot im not sure about the shot . ask your dr.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• yes ask ur doctor about it they have certain pills u can take that have something missing out of them forgot what there called that u can take
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Ask your Dr.  Some say the Depo shot is safe while BF, some say it's not, some say it's only safe after the first 6 weeks. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Ask your Doctor. I was birth control while I exclusively nursed my daughter. I was on a certain pill that contained less hormones or something.

Hope this helps a bit.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:50 AM on May. 26, 2010

• The hormones will probably decrease your milk supply so wether you wanted to continue breast feeding or not you might start having supply problems. They make birht control without progestrin so that your supply isn't effected or you can always get the paraguard which is non-hormonal, last for ten years, and it's inserted like mirena.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on May. 26, 2010

• it is the estrogen that will inhibit supply upkeep not progesterone. the formula is already decreasing supply, topped with the estrogen-laden depo provera, an you are going to have a hard time continuing problem-free nursing. best bet is to get on a birth control liike mirena or the mini pill that will not negatively affect milk production
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:58 AM on May. 26, 2010

• You can still breastfeed when you use depo. You may have problems with supply giving formula, it would be better to breastfeed only. There are many known hazards associated with formula and you should be worried about every bottle of formula you give your baby.

http://massbreastfeeding.org/formula/bottle.html

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/contraceptive/043.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• there are certain types of birth control that are safe. talk to your doctor.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 12:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Depo is safe, also, progesterone only pills are safe. IUD is safe. It's your choice if you decide to do both breast and formula, but DO keep in mind that it CAN damage your supply.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• depo is safe for breastfeeding and will not decrease your supply because it doesn't have estrogen in it. it is actually more likely to increase your supply. no worries, mom...you're good to go!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:44 PM on May. 26, 2010