nap time

My 3 year old daughter refuses to take a nap unless she has woken up in the middle of the night and is up for hours then. Everyday her little sister goes down from 12 to 2 and sleeps just fine but she i only 16months. I want her to nap because other wise she is grouchy and a big pain later on in the day. But if she does nap then she is up for hours at night. What are some options I have to get her to rest for a little while. Her and her little sister share a room so putting her in her room isn't an option because then the little one won't sleep. Please help!!!!

lovie04256

Asked by lovie04256 at 3:41 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i think at 3 they dont really need a nap in the daytime anymore. she may be grouchy at first, but keep at it and her body will adapt. its just not used to it.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:43 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I'd try just seeing if she'll lay on the couch for 'a rest', our 4 yr old is still taking a nap most days. I think it just depends on the child, they're just like adults, some just need more sleep then others.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:48 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yeah she hasn't really napped since she was about 2. But some days I just need a break and need her to lay down, but its like she just won't stay still
    lovie04256

Answer by lovie04256 at 3:49 AM on May. 26, 2010

• yeah, daisy had a good idea! have a "quiet time, your youngest can participate to! just turn all the tvs radio etc off and read them a book or somethig quiet to calm them !! great idea!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:50 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My son is 4 now, and he quit taking naps around the age of 3. I still wanted him to take naps so I would just make him rest on the couch. Sometimes he would go to sleep and other times he wouldn't, but at least he wasn't up and going constantly! Good luck it can be really hard when they share rooms.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 11:19 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Mine are 20 months and almost 3. My little one takes a nap in the pack n' play which we keep set up in our room... you could try having the little one sleep elsewhere and having your big girl have quiet time in her own room.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:49 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Kids out grow naps at different ages..She might be out growing them. But. My little girl is 3-1/2 and she still takes naps almost everyday from about 12:30-2. And is in bed normally by 9. But, on the days she wont nap/sleep she has what we call down time..she dosent have to sleep but she needs to laydown and just chill. Maybe with a movie on or some music. And even with the down time it helps..
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 9, 2010