why do they

why do babies sleep better next to their parents instead in their crib? I had a hard time the past few weeks keeping my baby asleep at night... hes 11 months ... he used to be able to soothe himself back to sleep... but i tested to see if he would sleep better next to me because he was only sleeping from 11pm-5am and last night he went to bed with me at 11pm and he is still sleeping(8am) but I put him back in his crib a hour ago...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a comfort thing, think about it... they were in a small womb for 9 months with your heartbeat and warmth all right there... So its comforting to feel your body heat, breathing and heartbeat right on them. Even at 5 my son sleeps better when he's laying with me rather than when he's in bed by himself. Hell even as an adult I sleep better when i'm not sleeping alone. KWIM?
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 8:55 AM on May. 26, 2010

• what helps my son(he is 13 months) is to let him sleep with a recieving blanket that smells like me. or some article of clothing that I had in the bed with me for a couple nights so it smells like me. then if he wakes he smells "me" and goes back to sleep :).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:08 AM on May. 26, 2010

• i did the blanket thing when i had to have my DD in daycare... i would sleep with the blanket and let her have it at daycare the next day...
    and i do believe it is a comfort thing... a safe feeling...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Human babies have always breastfed, slept next to their mothers, and woke at night to make sure they were still next to their mothers and to nurse. They still do in most of the world. It's normal for babies to do this until they are 3 or older, it's hardwired in their brains. You may want to read some of the research done by anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:13 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I believe its because they can smell your scent and that makes them feel secure and relaxed. I have tested my 6 week old as well and she loves to snuggle up with mommy. My 3 yr old was the exact same way but had a much harder time sleeping alone. Plus I nurse and they can also smell moms milk but that goes along with the scent that they pick up on.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:38 PM on May. 26, 2010