How do you handle your kids when they just simply don't listen to you?

I mean they know when I have had enough then they listen but why do I have to get all bent out of shape to get them to do what I ask. By then I feel my body all shaky my heart beating fast I'm yelling at them and I am trying to calm down but I don't know what else to do. thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on May. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a good cry, and walk away from the situation for a bit. Sometimes they find me and ask what's wrong....other times I come back to the situation with a little more patience and a better resolve to stay calm and put everyone in time out! lol Mom needs a time out!!! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• How old are they?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Time-outs, them & sometimes me...
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 9:14 AM on May. 26, 2010

• oh my...I am going through this currently in a BIG way with my 10 year old son. It has gotten so bad. I am talking to him, asking him to do something,like "start your homework","please be quiet,the baby is sleeping", "go put on a belt and pull up your shorts","pee IN the toilet,not on the seat!","please bring down your dirty clothes so I can wash them","stop doing that to your sister, can't you hear her crying?","don't spray water over in the direction of the babies","pick up your dish before you leave the table"...and so much more! And when I say this stuff lately, he just totally ignores me and walks away liek he didn't hear me. I have to repeat myself about 5 times and then I finally get mad enough to yell and then he yells back and says "why do you have to yell at me?"??really.I told him this a.m., this summer he will get up early every day and have a list of chores to do b4 he gets to go outside.PERIOD.BREATH DEEPLY!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:19 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I am getting upset all over again just reading this...lol. I had the worst morning with the girls trying to get them ready. I take my little time out so I won't beat them. I am very firm and I don't understand why they are so terrible ALL the time. Last night I told my daugher (7) to go get ready for bed, she replies "I don't have to" if a very snide way. I counted to ten (for my own calming benefit) then picked her up and put her in bed. If she just would have gotten ready for bed she would of had another hour to play around in her room.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:27 AM on May. 26, 2010

• When you feel yourself starting to yell, take a deep breath and turn away from them. Then turn and whisper. It is amazing how much better they listen when you whisper vs. yelling.
    If you have to, remove yourself from the situation.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I find that it escalates when they get by with it a few times. What I try to do is make sure I recognize the first signs of it and give them a consequence before it gets out of hand. Even with my 2 yo I put her in her room when she doesn't do what I ask the first time. My advice is try to catch them the first time they do it and don't wait until they have already pushed all your buttons. I know it's hard. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2010

• ii just stop giving attention to them and start any activity which they like to do.when they join me than slowly i try to share what exactly i want from them.surprisingly my kid follow me.never try to impose any thing directly to them.

wah

Answer by wah at 3:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If they are in habit of not listening, which is symptom of childhood, LOL, take their sweet little face GENTLY in your hand, look directly into their eyes, making them look back into yours, repeat once, have them repeat instruction back to you. A few times of this listening greatly improves. My dh used to call this "hard of listening" LOL This will really work.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 9:29 PM on May. 26, 2010