got rid of the bottle

i was just wondering if how i got rid of the bottle was a good way of doing it.
i started out giving him a sippy cup, he first had trouble keeping the formula in his mouth (he was 6 months old) so I only once in a while gave him one to get him used to it a little. at 7 months he started drinking out of it better so i only gave him a bottle when he woke up from a nap or when he woke up in the morning... then at 8 months i would only give it to him if he woke up in the morning or in the middle of the night... and then at 9 months he didn't even want his bottle any more and just wanted his sippy cup. was this a good way of changing? or do you think i did it too young? he is 11 months now almost 12 and not interested in a bottle any more... and he is really good at drinking out of any size sippy cup... sometimes actually able to drink out of a regular cup (but me holding it because it would be all over).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I heard....and this is just what I "heard"....that babies aren't ready to cope with a sippy cup until thier about 9 months. I know not every child is like that and some can figure them out before and some after 9 months, but if you've already gotten him off the bottle onto a sippy cup, then I don't really see a question here :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I didn't give the bottle after 11 months to either of my son's. I did the same thing. I have a 6 month old and will do it for her to

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 9:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• sounds like you did a great job!!!! congrats!!! why are you questioning yourself??? it sounds like it was successful and he is using a sippy cup!!
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I think its too young, but thats for me and MY baby, it obviously worked for you. I mean as long as your baby is happy you did the best thing for you guys right? good job mom!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:10 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Why would you do this? What do you have against a bottle? Babies have sucking needs that should be met. Formula should be out of a bottle and then when the baby is 12 mo you wean from the bottle (at the earliest). Water is given from a cup or sippy cup at meals to help wash down food.

If a baby is going to be bottle fed the idea is to try to keep it like breastfeeding. You want to meet those sucking needs. Your baby's face and jaw development may now be abnormal. Who knows the long term consequences of being forced to wean at such a young age.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:09 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My son drinks water and a little juice drom a straw sippy. he uses it well. My doctor told me to wait until he was a year to remove the bottle. What she said was if he drinks formula, it goes in a bottle. No more formula (meaning at a year when you can wean them) no more bottle. So am waiting till a year. He turns 11 months tomorrow so he doesnt have too much longer. I dont think you did anything wrong. Im just waiting. If hes fine with it then you did great :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it. I started introducing a sippy cup around 5 months old with a bit of water, added juice around 7 months, tried formula around 8-9 months. One of my kids self-weaned off the bottle at 9 months old, and the others took til about 14 months or so (ranged from 14 months with one to almost 2 years with another, but that one also had a younger sibling taking a bottle - it was hard on her). What you did was fine.
    Anonymous

• nothing wrong with it at all :) good job for doing it without a fight from your baby! if he wasn't ready to give up the bottle then he would have let you know.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:11 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I have always heard only formula in the bottle, only water/milk/juice in the cup. Formula is artificial breastmilk so it seems like it should come form an artificial breast (bottle) to best meet baby's needs. A bottle is better for their developing jaw (breast is best so you want what is closest to that). Over use of the sippy cup is related to speech delays and improper jaw development.  From Sippy Cups and Speech

"A sippy cup can serve a function, which is to transition off of the bottle, but it should only be used for a brief time," she says. "It can be used for approximately a month and should never be used as a substitute for a bottle and it should not be treated like a bottle."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:10 PM on May. 26, 2010