Help! Atheist mom with Christian daughter who has questions.

I know the basic concepts of Christianity and other religions but my daughter has specific questions. She is 7. I cannot answer these questions for her and she gets very frustrated with me. I have told her I don't believe in god or heaven. I want to help her. If she needs to believe in a higher power, I have no issues with that. I cannot attend church as I work Sat night and Sun night and need to sleep during the day on Sundays. I have no friends or family nearby. Any ideas?

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 9:43 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My first suggestion is get her the "My Book Of Bible Stories" it's written for children and very biblical. You should be able to get a free copy if you call the local Kingdom Hall. Even if you aren't a fan of the JWs, this book is a great one and I have known Christians from all different paths who love this book for their kids. I even have one for my kids and I'm Pagan... But it will help to explain some things in terms that she can understand.

Secondly, my BIG question is, if you don't have any one near you who can take her to church, where did these questions come from? She has to be being exposed to this stuff somewhere... Find that source and use it. Even if it was someone that you USED to be near, maybe they could answer her questions by phone or email.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Supply her with resources such as a Bible if she wants to learn more. Maybe she has a friend at school that you trust, who could take her to church with them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I don't know anybody at this school as we just moved here in March. She has several bibles both adult and children's. She cannot read well at this point and mostly looks at the pictures. I have tried to get our neighbor to bring her to church but they won't. I am hoping to find somebody to kind of "mentor" her with all this over the summer.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:47 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Call the local churches and ask about their "bus ministry", if they have one they can come and pick her up and bring her home. Those are usually available for Sundays and whatever other day of the week they might have things for her age group. Since it is getting into summer you can also ask about Vacation Bible School- that lasts about a week, either mornings or evenings, and typically covers basic Bible stuff.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:54 AM on May. 26, 2010

• There are online church services. Maybe that would help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Just a note: online church services are geared toward adults, and are generally worded in a way that a child would have a lot of trouble grasping the point/concepts. OP, your best bet is to call the local churches and simply ask about their children's ministry and bus ministry. Churches are typically more than willing to provide that information.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:59 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Get her a CM account....JK. I think its great that you want to talk to her. Meet her half way, you read a paragraph and she reads a paragraph of her childrens bible. Some books that contain info on the bible are more like storie books and not really the bible. Can you find one of those story books?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:24 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Just one more thought....can you call a relative that is christian and have them talk to her by phone? How well are her phone skills? You can talk to your dd about how to approach a relative about answering some questions. I think you both will win....like she your dd gets her info and you found the means to and you allow her curiosity to be answered.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:28 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Well what questions does she have? You could just post them on here if you want, lol.

On a serious note, just find a local church. Call and ask for an appointment with the pastor. The pastor will gladly talk to your daughter about any questions she may have. Read her children's Bibles with her. That will help too.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:43 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Look for an AWANA in your area and see if they have a bus ministry.... I'm sure one of them will.

Also, I applaud you for the fact that though you don't believe in God you're helping your daughter to find the answers.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 26, 2010