Will she EVER self wean?

My daughter just turned 2 in March. I figured she would start to self wean at least a little bit by now, but hasn't at all. I'm trying to encourage her not to nurse, but she still wants to at least a few times a day and before naps and bedtime. Will she EVER start to self wean herself? I didn't just want to take nursing away from her, but I don't want nursing to become a habit.

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 9:49 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Those that have practice extended nursing have had self wean around the age of 4. Some earlier some later, but yes it would happen. There is no magic number and it doesn't happen over night.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:56 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I would do some research on how to guide her.. so both of you have a pleasant experience with it.

good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• If self weaning is something your serious about, as opposed to weaning her by your choice, then stick to it and eventually will happen like SAHMinIL said. If you just want to choose to wean her then do it. It will be a bit of a fight as she's been BFing for the past two years. Make the feedings shorter and maybe cut one or two our every now and then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Nursing is not a habit. It's normal for humans to wean between the age of 3-7. If you are "trying to encourage her to not to nurse" then that is mother let weaning not self weaning. If you want to allow your child to self wean then you let them nurse without restrictions until they wean themselves.

The earliest children self wean is usually around 2.5. There may not be a "starting" to weaning. One day a child may decide to not nurse any more.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:16 AM on May. 26, 2010

• No. Why would she? It's a great experience for her. It's comforting. She's close to mom and feels loved when she's bonding with you like that. When you are ready to stop then help her out but I wouldn't sit around and wait for her to stop on her own.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I think there is some confusion with terminology. Extended breastfeeding is when someone breastfeeds a long time. Since all babies are supposed to breastfeed 2 years it would seem like after 2 would be considered extended breastfeeding. However, since it is uncommon for toddlers to breastfeed after 1 year, extended breastfeeding may be after a year. There is no set definition.

Extended breastfeeding is what the OP is doing since her little girl is older. Since she is encouraging weaning she is doing mother led weaning. Is mother led weaning bad? It depends on how it's done. If a mother can't stand nursing any longer it may be better to wean. The child is going to pick up on all those negative emotions. If a child has health problems then it's best to nurse as long as possible.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:25 AM on May. 26, 2010

• In my personal opinion I think you will have to start weaning her. You will have to decided when but if she isnt now she may not in the near future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 26, 2010

• my son has been self-weaning since Dec. He is down to nursing twice a day. He's 3. Give it time. She's happy with you. Let her go at her own pace. =) it'll happen. and when it does you will be sad. lol trust me! my son is almost done , my DD is still nursing like a champ ( she's 2 in august) and we have a baby due in Jan. They will all self-wean. Yeah, that means I'll be nursing for another 3+ years.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:07 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Um, at 2 it's already a habbit!!! She won't stop until you stop - she's the child, YOUR the adult!! She will do what YOU let her!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on May. 26, 2010

• She will; they all do.....eventually. :) Maybe not as soon as you would like, but she will.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:28 PM on May. 26, 2010