I need help - contacting a company to get a job. PLEASE respond!

OK so my MIL is trying to hook me up with a job at a debt collection agency. Yea it probably sucks but it pays over $14/hr and min wage here is $6.85/hr and I can't seem to even get one of those jobs. So anyway she told me the woman has over 500 apps sitting on her desk and that I need to call her.... What do I do? Do I apply and then call her and what do I say when I call her? I have nooo idea what I'm suppose to say when I call. Please help. I haven't worked in a long time and don't have much work experience, esp at any place good. But I really need this. I NEED medical and esp dental insurance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your MIL can only do so much you need to show the effort. Fill out the App. Then call and say I filled out an application. _____ told me you were hiring I'm VERY interested in the position and would be very interested in interviewing.
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 4:09 PM on May. 26, 2010

• You can call and say that you put in an application and was wondering if she's had a chance to look at it. But I doubt that if she's got 500 applications on her desk and you don't have experience that youre going to get the job anyway.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:02 AM on May. 26, 2010

• wow.. thanks.. so my MIL was lying when she said she could get me a job there and told me to call the lady? why do people do that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 26, 2010

• If she could get you the job either she would be talking to the girl or the girl would be calling you. Just saying, out of 500 applicants I'm sure one of the has the job experience they are looking for.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:13 AM on May. 26, 2010

• So how was it your MIL going to get you this job? Sounds like she didn't even give the lady a heads up. If she did, then you just need ot call her. Tell her your MIL was aware they were hiring and she gave you her number. If she knows the situation and your MIL then the woman will probably tell you to come fill out an application.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2010

• She works there and is friends with the hiring manager. They are looking to hire a LOT of people, not just one. My sister has worked there and so has a friend of mine with the same lack of experience as me and my neighbor just got hired there too. I will try. I NEED to go to the freakin dentist and it would be nice to get to go to the dr too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 26, 2010

• So then why try if she is getting it for you? Im pretty sure thats illegal.
    Anonymous

• How is that illegal? I have worked for a lot of places where they would only hire people who were recommended by their employees.
    Anonymous

• fill out the application then call her and say " so in so told me you were hiring. i filled out an application and wanted to let you know i was interested in the position."
    Anonymous