Need ideas to feed my 5 year old .. help!

My kid used to eat almost anything. Recently he has started to hate everything and wont try any new foods either. List of stuff he used to like: Chicken nuggs, hotdogs, cheese torts, broccolli, carrots, apples, bananas, grapes, burritos, chicken noodle soup, and a few others i cant think of right now. He only now will eat grilled cheese, yogurt, scrambled eggs, tomato soup, and plain pasta. I really want him to have a wider palette.. not sure why he is so picky. His 16 month old brother is becoming the same which really drives me nuts! They need more variety and nutrition. My baby wont try ANY fruits or anything we make for dinners. He could live off oatmeal and yogurt.... I dont believe in starving my kids to teach them a lesson, (eat this or nothing), but I also will not offer them 3 or 4 things til they are satisfied with what they get. We make a lot of great nutritious and tasty foods...

any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• the thing is, you are not starving them... if they choose not to eat then they will eat when they are hungry

trust me, I have a 4 year old who eats dinner MAYBE 2 nights a week....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:00 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My 2 older boys went thru a 'picky eater' stage when they were little. At meal times I would offer them what we were eating, and if they would not try it then I would offer 2 choices of things they ate (like "do you want oatmeal or cottage cheese') and I would fix them their choice. My children did not like pedisure, so what I did was mix up carnation instant breakfast and offer that as 'chocolate milk' along with their food choice. There is also Ovaltine, my boys did not seem to care very much for that.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:03 AM on May. 26, 2010

• If you cater to them now by preparing them special or seperate meals from what you made for yourself & your DH/SO, then you will be setting yourself up to be their personal sous chef for the rest of your life. But, you don't want to make meals a power struggle either,so you have to find a happy medium that everybody will like. The happy medium in our house is peanut butter sandwiches. If someone doesn't want to eat what I've made, then they can make themselves a peanut butter sandwich, a piece of fruit and/or veggie sticks. All of these things are always available in our house & there is no stigma to eating the alternate meal, but that is the only alternate choice. Obviously your children aren't old enough to make their own alternate meal, but you can figure out something that is easy for you to quickly prepare & that you always have ingredients on hand for. And it should be the same meal for both kids, not a diff one for each
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• They both hate peanut butter too....

Yeah I will not be making meals as they waht.. I just get sick of he same 5 foods a week... but if i buy other stuff, they just waste it. I cant afford that....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My son refused veggies...So, I spent a week where I made a different "nasty" veggie every night and made him eat a small serving. Which he gagged the entire time, then, the last night, I made him some mixed veggies...he ate those right up. After which, he got a choice. Eat whatever food we make, or you get mixed veggies with you meat. He choose the mixed veggies. Problem solved...He was still getting healthy food, yet, it was a food he could live with. I also never served anything not healthy for him in place of the supper I had already cooked. It was always something healthier if I knew he didn't like our meal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:25 AM on May. 26, 2010

• My parents forced gross shit like spinach pie and tuna cassorole on me whan i was a kid.. I hated it then and I hate it now... all it did was make me miserable. I would have raher gone to bed starving. I dont think its nice to force your kids to eat food they absolutely dont want. How would you like someone to do that to you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on May. 26, 2010

• UGG have a 5 year old and going through the same thing!!! You can hide veggies in almost anything! I don't believe in starving either,, but I do give a choice,, and that is it,,your baby is modeling your kiddos behavior.. Get Jessica Seinfelds book,,it has great ideas,, My kid eats veggies and he doesn't even know it,, LOL! Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:31 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I dont have all day to get crafty and make up complicated meals just to hide food.. i dont even have a blender...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 26, 2010

• They are really easy,,, but you will need a blender,, LOL! It basically is hiding stuff in things you already make,, sorry if I didn't help,, good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2010

• When I serve dinner, my daughter has to try at least one bite of everything on her plate (usually a main dish, a side and a veggie). She's three and she'll see the plate and say, "I don't like it!" without having tasted it. I make her eat one bite to try it. The night before last, she decided she still didn't like it, but she'd eat the side and veggie. Last night, she tried the main dish and loved it despite her, "I don't like it!" at first. If she doesn't eat what is put in front of her, she doesn't eat. She won't starve because she loves breakfast food (eggs, yogurt and cereal) and will eat just fine in the morning. I just don't think bending to her whims without making her try dinner is going to do her any good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 26, 2010