Tantrums :(

Our son will be 17 months here in a few days and lately he has been throwing these horrible tantrums.They started just after his first birthday and have only gotten worse.When we take him outside we allow him to walk with us while holding one of our hands seeing as he walks so well.He lets go and tries running in the opposite direction and when we catch him and hold his hand he screams,hits,and tries to bite us.We try to explain that he needs to hold our hand so he doesnt get hurt and this approach isnt helping.When he hits us we tell him hitting is not nice and that it makes us sad and show him how to be gentle.We are at witts end with what to do seeing as his pediatrician has said what we are doing will work but were not seeing any improvement.He also knows how to get outta his carseat and refuses to stay in it when we go out.If anyone knows other things we can try to make going out a little bit easier that would be great :)

b4byd0ll

Asked by b4byd0ll at 10:11 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of the toughest things about kids is that discipline takes repeated actions over and over until it finally works. If you give in or don't stay consistent every time then it just reinforces to the child that their behavior is something they can get away with. My son was around 18 months the first time I put him on time out. One minute per year of his life is the duration of his time out. I'd also take away treats that he'd get like his binkie, or his juice he'd get plain milk or water for being bad. I know it sounds mean but sometimes kids need to see the actual consequence of their actions.

My son's pediatrician told me that around the 1st 4 to 5 years of his life he won't understand the words so much as seeing the actions. I had to physically remove my son's toys so that he saw if he was bad he lost stuff. He didn't get that he would if he continued being bad. Good luck
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:11 PM on May. 30, 2010