How do YOU organize a garage sale?

Meaning, is there any structure to yours, or is it just a big mess? I am looking for some unique layouts... or does it really not matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah I'm an organized garage seller. I sort everything then list every item and price it. I box things up by what table they will be on so on the day of the sale I just put the box/boxes at the table. That makes it so much easier to display quickly. I set a time limit for the sale. I don't have it all day long. I post free ads and signs wherever I can. I also remove those signs after the sale. I have enough change on hand. I don't keep all my money outside. When it gets to be over $20 I take some of it in the house. Many people are wonderful but there is always a chance someone will want to help themselves to what I worked hard to get. I remember that Girl Scout that had all her money stolen bc she kept it all in the box and out in the open. Some bad man stole it. After the sale I box up what I didn't sell and donate it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:37 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I am VERY organized about how I do my garage sales. I make sure that my clothes are all divided by sizes, and sexes, and I make sure that I have plenty of tables and that everything is properly marked. Try to to "clutter' too much it makes people feel like they're too cramped to "browse". Spread everything out even into your yard if you need to, it makes it look bigger and more approachable. I made $1400 last summer at my garage sale, but I had several large peices of furniture...Good Luck!!!
    TimandMely4ever

Answer by TimandMely4ever at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I separate clothing by size and sex and put it in well-labeled plastic bins. I put all the bins on tables arranged in a U shape in my garage. I hang adult clothes. I group similar items together and display them on a table or shelf. I put bigger items at the end of my driveway.

I didn't have enough tables last time, so I borrowed from friends and neighbors to make sure I had plenty of table space.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I can't stand the idea of pricing every individual item, so I just get boxes... " Everything in this box $ 1.00 "... etc.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 11:07 AM on May. 26, 2010

• We keep all the big stuff in the front to draw attention, all the clothes on clothing racks my aunt gave us, sorted by sex, size, and style (summer together, winter together), and keep other stuff on tables, also sectioned off. Toys and other kid stuff on one table, knick knacks on another, and so on, and we keep the shoes on upside down boxes in a line, also organized the same way as the clothes. There are usually a lot of us, at least from 4 or 5 different homes, so everything is priced with initials on it, and one person is the designated money taker, writer down person. That way, no one takes money for someone else's thing and forgets to put it in the box. We usually do pretty well.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:20 AM on May. 26, 2010