do ever feel that parenting is a competative sport?

let me explain. ever feel like you are in competion with other mothers or fathers to see who kid is smarter, more athletic, more artistic. ect. i see it sometimes on here. my kid walked at 6months. my kid says full sentances at 1yr. come on ladies all our kids our special no matter what. but just curious if anyone else sees it. or is it just on here i have observed it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• yes, especially in my super mormon neighborhood. it is nuts here....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes... extremely so where I live. Its also about how fast you lost the baby weight, how flat your stomach is after 3 kids, how many miles you run a day. How nice your house/car is. How much money your husband makes.... Its nerve wracking trying to keep up with these insane people lol.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 10:40 AM on May. 26, 2010

• yup, the neighbors seem to be that way. but their ds is a whole year younger than my ds so it is really hard for them to keep up. i dont compare my kid to others. from years of teaching i know they are all different and great in different ways. i feel bad for kids whos parents pressure them to make them seem like more successful parents... it is sad. they should just enjoy their kids and let them be individuals.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, its terrible especially on here... But I saw it in preschool and K-12. Everyone wants their child to be the best. I just wish people would encourage their children and let them have their own interests. If a child pursues their individuality they will naturally be the best they can be with the support of their family.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:50 AM on May. 26, 2010

• oh it's definitely not just on here. and it spreads further than just the kids. like laciD said, it's about how skinny you are after 3 kids, how expensive your car/house is, how amazing your husband is (which I'll admit, I have an amazing one, ha!)....it's just crazy!
    I try to keep myself out of those things for the most part..I know what I have, I'm thankful for my life and my family, I don't feel the need to brag...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 10:51 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, but I am happy to let my girl do exactly what she can do when she can do it! Oh yeah, how good you look after having a kid is a BIG thing here too...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 11:13 AM on May. 26, 2010

• So maybe I've been out of the loop for a while...

Or I do a really good job of opting out of that kind of drama.

Sure, it'd be nice to have legs like the girls I see running on the sidewalk, but I don't get jealous and competitive over it. I tell my husband all the time I'd like to be a runner, and make some friends with the women around here. But, the facts are, I'm pregnant again, I have 32G breasts, and running is just NOT something I can do right now.

I have a neatly kept house, nice furniture, and no, it's not the prettiest house on the block, but my house is a home to my wonderful husband, and amazing son, and we are fed, bathed, and love eachother dearly. That's what matters to me.

Move up to rural Montana for a year. You'll come back feeling the same way I do! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:39 AM on May. 26, 2010