What would you charge to babysit 2 children for 7-9 days (nights also)?

My stepmom asked if I would sit my neice & nephew for 7-9 days & how much would I charge. Ages are 3 (not potty trained) & 5yrs. Im not sure what would be reasonable. When my stepmom babysit for me so i could work, she charged me $75 a wk for 1 toddler; then went up to $100 when I got a raise.

I have 2 children of my own (ages 3 & 5) and I also babysit a 16month old during the day. My niece & nephew would be staying the night here also. So thats 3 meals, snacks, baths, etc.

So what would you charge if you were in my position?

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 10:48 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Pick an hourly rate per child and don't let them tell you to charge less an hour because the children will be sleeping. You are still responsible for that child even when they are sleeping. For some reason people feel they don't have to pay you as much because you aren't "doing" something with them at that time. If that was the case I'd charge them an activity fee, food fee and supply fee in addition to the hourly rate. I know of people who charge $20 a day per child when they are there 10 hours a day not including nights.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:53 AM on May. 26, 2010

• do you mean sometimes they spend the night,, or 7-9 days straight? I woud think at least $300!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:52 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Kimiqoqo: I mean 7-9 days STRAIGHT
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 10:53 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I agree with kimigogo between 325.00 to 375.00. That should give you a profit and cover food cost ( if you keep meals cheap). When my DD was in Daycare 4 years ago I paid 180.00 for 5 days a week for 8 1/2 hrs a day.
    ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 10:59 AM on May. 26, 2010

• an "Activity" fee? seriously?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:04 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Well I would say $500 I know that sounds alot but 3 meals a day x 5 =- $15 a day x 9 =$135 now that is just in food cost alone,, if you can add 2 into the mix for less than that amount more power to you,, it is a HUGE task, and don't let her bully you into doing it for less,, write down the food expense,, and I am sorry is someone thinks that approx. $350 isn't worth having 2 kids taken care of 24/7 I would question what they are smoking! LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:05 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I would say around $300. $100 per child and then another hundred for food, time, etc.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Oh I charge an activity fee also too! Especially if a parent feels they should pay less when a child is sleeping. Point being if you want to pay me less when they are sleeping then I will charge you more when they are awake. I guess a flat fee per day would be the way I would go. By the way, the activity fee covers gas, admission fees, etc... not something unheard of. Yes Peanutsmommy.... seriously!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 26, 2010

• but an "activity fee" for your niece and nephew?!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:56 AM on May. 26, 2010

• To the activity fee issue....I do NOT plan on taking them anywhere that would require admission I can't afford that anyway. I am only considering this b/c we need the money. I do understand the need for it though, especially if you're someone who would do trips to the zoo or waterpark. I dont even plan on leaving my house unless I HAVE to. That may be mean but oh well. I will be completely alone w/ no other adult, not even in the evenings/nights; so Im not puttin myself through that kind of stress.

Not sure if I've stated this before but I have never charged her for keeping them before (and she's offered). But that was only a few days & nights (like an entired wknd, fri-sun) NOT 7-9 days straight. And again....she (my stepmom) offered.
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2010