How much notice should I give our daycare provider that we are leaving?

Hi, DS starts kindergarten this year,, and we will not know until August what school he will get to attend,, one he will not need daycare after, the other he will, my daycare lady has 3 others going to kindergarten and will have alot of spots to fill,, I don't want to leave her with only 2 weeks to find his replacement,, but also would prefer to keep him in her aftercare program if that is what we have to do.. He loves her and so do we,, but she has already asked me and I have told her what I know,,should I just give his notice and wing it?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 11:01 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• If she is as nice as it sounds, you may just see if you can work it out with her. I wouldn't want to lose her if it turns out you still need her, hopefully she will be understand enough to know that she is getting the information as you receive it.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:06 AM on May. 26, 2010

• what is in your contract?
    2 weeks is standard notice
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:03 AM on May. 26, 2010

• 2 weeks,,, and I will be able to do that,, I just feel bad that she might not get someone to take his place! If I give it now without knowing,,she will more than likely be able to fill it,, but then if he gets in the school we want him in,, I will not have aftercare with someone we know and love!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:08 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Just tell her your situation or call the school district and ask if you could request the school and time he attends that would be where your child care provider lives so he could stay with her. I know our school district does this. I used to be a child care provider and had a few kindergarteners like this so they could stay with me for after or before school care.

ramajil

Answer by ramajil at 11:08 AM on May. 26, 2010

• unfortuanetly that is the nature of the child care business
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:09 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Usually the daycare provider will have a policy about how much notice is required.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 11:24 AM on May. 26, 2010