Is this horrible?

So I've been trying to stop brestfeeding my 2 year old for a while because I think it is time. I've been trying for a while to cut the feeding back and even skip a feeding here and there, but she is actaully nursing more and more. I'm just ready for her to stop nursing bc now she is asking for it by name, and I've always told myself if my child can ask to be nursed than she is to old to be nursing. My question is that I'm on a birth control that is for brestfeeding moms so it doesn't dry up your milk, but I'm thinking of switching to the regular birth control so that it will dry up my milk, and than she will have no reason to nurse. Is that horrible or a good idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• first off. . . Congratulations on nursing until 2. I think so moms stop too soon. That being said, it is your choice when it is time to stop no matter what anyone else says. If you are ready then I'd wean slowly. Drop one feeding at a time but replace it with something that is equally comforting. for example if you are nursing at night/nap time then slowly reduce the length of time your nurse (maybe a few minutes every few days) and replace it with a book that you read to your child or a song that you sing together or those few minutes of snuggle time. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Why don't you just not give her the option. Seems that if you take a BC that dries you up, you aren't actually taking control of the situation but rather using a cop-out. Just stop letting her nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 26, 2010

• i cant believe your still nursing at 2 yrs old, thats crazy
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Do it like any other mom. When its time to stop, introduce the cup and its over. This is totally your choice not hers. Your the parent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Good idea.

Remember you're the parent here. She is not.

I guess it's normal to breast feed for 2 years, I hear it's harder to get them off the feedings if they feed that long.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Yeah I think it was time to stop like a year ago!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 26, 2010

• anon 21: thats easier said than done...even those who are bottle fed sometimes have to go through the bottle tossing ritual with thier kids.Out of sight, out of mind...not available...not wanted..not needed. Give her a break, she's not copping out.
    Good Luck OP...I never nursed for that long so I don't have any great advice to give. I wish I did.I'm sure one of these ladies on here will know some good ideas for you. You can always call the pediatrician or your doctor and see what advice they may have.
    Anonymous

• Regular birth control pills won't dry up your milk. It's just better for nursing moms to take the low dose.

Just because you think it's wrong to nurse a child that can ask to breastfeed doesn't make it so. Rather than wean, you can change your attitude. There are many advantages to child-led weaning and nursing a 2 year old. She will continue to get the advantages of human milk as long as she breastfeeds. She will need to nurse at least 3 years to get all the jaw, facial, and speech advantages. Breastfeeding until age 2 is just the minimum recommended (World Health Org).

There is nothing wrong with a child asking to breastfeed.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:28 AM on May. 26, 2010

• This time...I totally agree with Gailll and the rest of you need to research more. Just sayin'.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:31 AM on May. 26, 2010

• Don't listen to people like PURPULbutterfly. It's not crazy to breastfeed a 2 year old. Everyone should be. Of course a 2 year old breastfed child knows how to drink from a cup. The vast majority of moms on cm know nothing about breastfeeding.

It may help to go to a LLL meeting and talk to other moms that are nursing toddlers. LLL groups have lending libraries and there are books about nursing toddlers and on weaning. One of the 4 meetings in the series of LLL meetings is about weaning. There are also state LLL conferences that are great, they can be life changing. There are sessions on breastfeeding, weaning, parenting, childbirth, and other topics that interest moms. You can find more info by going to your state's LLL web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:37 AM on May. 26, 2010