What would you charge to keep 2 kids for 7-9 days straight?

My stepmom asked if I would sit my neice & nephew for 7-9 days & how much would I charge. Ages are 3 (not potty trained) & 5yrs. Im not sure what would be reasonable. When my stepmom babysit for me so i could work, she charged me $75 a wk for 1 toddler; then went up to $100 when I got a raise.

I have 2 children of my own (ages 3 & 5) and I also babysit a 16month old during the day. My niece & nephew would be staying the night here also. So thats 3 meals, snacks, baths, etc.

So what would you charge if you were in my position?

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 11:40 AM on May. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• The last sitter I talked to charged $25/day, and $15/day for each additional child. And an extra $15 per child overnight... too much, IMO.

I don't think $30 or $35 a day is too much, because between 3 meals alone, they'll each eat at least $10/day. Plus snacks, diaper changes, hassles for bath and bed...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:50 AM on May. 26, 2010

• based on your previous charges. id say $300 a week. if nine days. then make it $375.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 26, 2010

• I posted earlier no less than $500 because of food and gas,,,, maybe you just don't want to? There would be nothing wrong with just saying you can't do it! Good luck with whatever you decide!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:52 AM on May. 26, 2010

• wow. $100.00 a week? that means $20.00 a day!! maybe thats normal but because it is a family member and not a daycare, i babysat for my neice and nephew under the ages of 5 for 2 dollars an hour. so i think i was making 50.00 a week or less. i didnt mind it being a SAHM anyway.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:54 AM on May. 26, 2010

• They are relatives, I would do it for free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:55 AM on May. 26, 2010

• i houesat/babysat my neice and nephew for 7nights 8 days straight, plus i had my daughter, plus my sisters 2 dogs and cat..and because it was my sister, i wasnt gonna charge her..i would do anything for her!! however...she did pay me...she knew i needed money, especially because i did have to take the week off of work, plus im a single mom and have no money..but i didnt expect anything from her, however, she paid me $50/day..the kids were were ages 3 and 5..plus my daughter who was 2.
    if someone was to ask me how much i would charge, i would probably say 25-30/day..30-40 for overnights
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:08 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I dont mind being a SAHM. She (my stepmom) never had a problem charging me so I could work, but she's NEVER charged her own children to babysit. I did NOT ask to be paid, she OFFERED. The mother of the children (my stepsister) wouldn't do it for free if the tables were turned. We are barely getting by as it is (my husband has been laid off & barely makes enough to pay bills w/ the small odd jobs he finds) & they are asking me to feed 2 more mouths ( those kids EAT). I'd have to take them w/ me anywhere I go (including my DDs therapy). My niece & nephew are the worst children but aren't the best behaved. Im sorry, it doesn't matter how you cut it 2--5yr olds 2--3yr olds (both her & my kids are the same age) & 16month old is a lot to handle. My husband wont be here to help me in afternoons; I will be alone.

Im not some doormat to be used & walked on. When I worked I was charged $75 a wk til I got a raise then she charged $10
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 12:10 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Looks like more it's headaches than it's worth. 

Anonymous

• I'd say $50 - $55 per day based on what she charged you for one child. Since she offered to pay and you previously paid her, I think it makes perfect sense that you would be paid.
    Anonymous

• $3 per hour per child = $432 for 9 days. i wouldn't go a penny less. especially if your stepsister wouldn't see your favor and return it. Honestly, if it were me, i would charge that plus the cost of food.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:14 PM on May. 26, 2010