Is a banana, a cup of apple juice (100%, no sugar added) ana slice of lean turkey lunch meat a good mid-morning meal for an eleven month old?

She's getting protein (banana), iron (turkey), and vitamin c (apple juice) plus other nutrients. Is this enough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds good enough to me! then again my son is eating pizza for breakfast lol
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Sounds good. You could skip the juice and give her real fruit instead, but it's great!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Turkey is protein, never heard of a banana being a protein source. Lunch meat is frequently high in sodium and nitrates, so you have to be careful with that stuff. Otherwise, no, not bad, there are a lot worse choices out there!
    Anonymous

• The AAP recommends no more than 4 oz of juice a day for young children. Apple juice may be the worst. White grape is the best. Young children should never have lunch meat. It is processed and has nitrates (linked with cancer). Babies, like all of us, should drink water. Banana isn't a protein source. Meat has protein.

Banana, real turkey, whole grain crackers, and water would be a good meal or snack.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Since there is already a bunch of sugar in the apple juice, I would skip the banana and substitute a piece of whole grain bread for some longer lasting carbs.
    Anonymous

• The amount of protein in a banana is neglible, so I'm not sure why you would think it's a good source of protein. One cup of banana contains about 2g of protein and 28 grams of sugar.

Apple juice, even w/o added sugar, is still mostly sugar, void of any real nutritional value. One cup of apple juice contains 24g of sugar & provides only 2.2mg or 4% of the RDV for vitamin C.

The nutritional value of lunchmeat, any kind of lunchmeat, is very low, since it is heavily processed and loaded w/chemical preservatives, artificial flavorings & colorings, and that one slice of lunchmeat only contained about 3g of protein.
    Anonymous

• You need to ditch the juice and replace it with real fruit. Juice is just sugar. The actual fruit has all the fiber and good stuff.

My DD never even tasted juice until after 2 yr old and even now at almost 4 yr old, I only give her juice as a treat. Also, you need to be sure she's getting calcium and good whole grains in her diet.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Also, the last anon is right about the nutritional values of bananas, juice, and lunchmeat.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I would skip the juice and add a veggie, but otherwise fine! she's getting fruit in the banana, so no need to add another.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:41 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Your eleven month eats more for a snack than I do for lunch. A whole banana? I can't even eat an entire banana. It's so filling+ juice on top of it? Will she eat lunch too?

Anonymous