DO you think 10 years old is too young to learn to wash thier own clothes?

I'm thinking about doing this because my child takes for granted all the things I have to do around here. I wash his clothes, fold them and put them on his bed for him to put away. Does he do it? Heck no.
He also will take a pile of clean clothes and toss them in the dirty laundry just so he doesnt have to put them away.I have also found hidden clothes under his bed, crammed between the wall and his dresser and even stuffed in his overnight suitcase that he keeps in his closet!
I'm thinking that if he washes his own clothes maybe he'll take better care? But do you think he's too young to learn how to do that yet?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:17 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think he is old enough. He may not do it how you like it..it will still be a hassle for you but he is capapble of learning. You know he is going to leave them in washer, leave them in dryer. Not fold good..wear wrinkly clothes. Im just saying to be prepared!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I do not have those issues, but my own children who are 8 and 9, know how to wash, dry, and fold clothing. They have been know to load and start the washer for me.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:22 PM on May. 26, 2010

• This is so true, ria7...I bet you he would even go as far as to take them straight from the washer and try to wear wet clothes to school,lol.
    SAHMinIL2...can I borrow your children for a day so they can teach my 10 year old how to be a responsible kid? lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It's not like they do it on their own. I just tell them "I need you to put a load in the washer for me". Often when I tell them that I'm in the middle of another chores such as dishes, cooking, cleaning the bathroom etc. They go start it. Sometimes there's whining about it, but even if the whine about it they still do it. As far as the whining goes, my personal opinion on it as long as they are doing what they were told, who care they are expressing their disapproval of the task. There in my opinion is a huge different between whining, throwing a tantrum and NOT doing the work. And doing the work with a little bit of a grumpy attitude. Sometime I get grumpy attitudes while they do the work, but most of the time there is no issue.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:48 PM on May. 26, 2010

• HaHa...I feel the same way...if he's grumpy about it I don't care as long as he is doing it. Joshua is in this new phase of throwing tantrums when I ask or tell him to do something. He screams, kicks a wall, throws stuff and flat out refuses to do it! I don't know whats gotten into this child but he needs some shock treatment,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Some of it's age and some of it's just testing, or retesting, the boundaries. "Does Mom really mean that I must do it?". I think if you start taking away his prize possessions for failure to do the task at hand then you might see some positive result. Of course learning to do the laundry won't hurt any either. :) I still get tested every now and then, and I imagine I will for the rest of childhood and teen years. They may do well then it's all of the sudden, "hmmm do the same rules still apply, surely they must not, because I'm 10 and that's a rule I had when I was 8. Clearly now that I'm ten she doesn't expect me to put away my clothing. That's what 8 year olds do! Let's just see how serious she is about this!" Just don't loose your ground. If you want him to put away his clothes then have him do it. If he refuses then you give him more chores, or take away those things that matter to him, MP3, PS3, etc..
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:28 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Those are great ideas. But let me tell you...lol....I have at one point literally taken EVERYTHING out of his room, one prized posession at a time! By the time I was done, all he had left was the mattress!!!! Yes, I even took his pillow! LOL. The kid was still as happy as could be...I walked in because I heard him laughing , he was doing summersaults on the floor and was happy with all the "new space" he had to romp around in, lol. I have my hands full with this child of mine, I really do.
    I am going to enlist more chores though...I've been through all this with him. I can't even begin to tell you how many different plans for rewards/consequences we had set up for him with chores and behavior and such.
    I've got some new tactics up my sleave.He's in for a suprise.Beginning with the laundry task. I just hope he doesnt break my washer and dryer with his silly self,LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Nope. My 12 yr old has been doing his own laundry since we got a front loader when he was 8. He either does his laundry, OR brings down a load and asks me to wash and dry while he's at school (he has to fold and put away) OR he's wearing dirty clothes.
    All my children do their own clothes from my 20 yr old twins, my 15 yr old daughter,and my 12 yr old son.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:24 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i think my mom made me start doing laundry when i was around 8yo.... sorting, washing, hanging up (we didn't have a dryer), folding and putting the different piles in everyone's rooms. i could do it all by the time i was 10 so i'm sure he can. i think that's a great way to teach responsibility and plus maybe when he grows up he won't be like my hubby and look at the washer like it's a space craft or something lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:55 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Nope he's not to young. Show him how to do it and then let him do it himself. If he doesn't do it then I guess he's gonna have to wear dirty clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on May. 27, 2010