Moral (and karmic) obligation...

So I posted something a week or so ago about an acquaintance of mine who told me that she didn't want her daughter anymore. We went and talked to her, and she still kept saying she didn't want her. She said numerous times that she wanted to "beat the crap out of her" even when she was happily playing... Anyway, long story short, I wanted to give her a chance to get help for herself. She hasn't. She apparently gave her daughter a fat lip the other day and dragged her down wooden stairs. I am ready to call CPS. How do I go about this? Should I do this anonymously?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Call the police and ask them the number to call. Sorry but I can't believe you waited and now the child is hurt. CALL NOW before she kills the kid
    Anonymous

• yes, you should call

you can do so anon, or you can give your info for police/cps to contact you with further questions. Either way, your friend will not be told who called
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I would call now. Maybe you could just invite the child to your house to play and see if she will let her stay there. just tell teh mom she needs a break and let kid stay with you!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Well you should have done something right away if she is that bad, you should feel lucky that she didnt kill her child. I think in a way she has been asking you to help her. You have a responsibility to this child to get her out of that situation. Call CPS now, tell them whats been going on, it doesnt matter whether you do it annonymously or not, if you are worried about loosing your friend do it annonymously, but to be honest with this kind of person I wouldnt care. Chances are she will figure it was you anyways. But do whats right before this girl turns up dead and you have to live with that your whole life.
    Anonymous

• CPS won't do anything unless there is clear indication of abuse. If the mother didn't hit the child and leave noticable evidense until now then calling CPS before would have made your complaint look frivolous. You were right to wait. Call and do so anonymously. If they don't take you serious then you need to give them your name and know that you are advocating for that poor child. Often times, the right thing to do isn't the easy thing to do. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Go pick up the child and then call the police. That is abuse and you are watching it happen.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:25 PM on May. 26, 2010

• you should have called long ago instead of waited till she hit her child
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• You call the CPS 800 number which goes to their state center. You can file anon, but please don't. Anon calls don't get the same attention as calls made with a real name and address. State law requires that CPS keep all reports confidential, meaning that CPS is bound by law to keep your name out of it. The only people who will ever know you filed the report are you and CPS. CPS takes confidentiality very seriously. You should have reported this back when the mom told you she thinks about beating her kid. You need to call now.

I was a CPS case worker.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:45 PM on May. 26, 2010

• She told you this because she wants your help. if your gonna call CPS leave your name address phone numbers email whatever. most anon call are overlooked. they are not taken as seriously. your friendshipp is now on the back burner a childs life is in danger and you were called upon. she's not gonna call herself so she's relying on you as her friend to do it. She doesn't sound like a bad person just someone who is screaming out for help. get that baby away from her asap becuz she has already warned u.good luck!
    MomInc

Answer by MomInc at 12:56 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Just called. She has posted most of what I told you on facebook for the world to see... She is definitely screaming for help.
    Anonymous