How to get Pee out of a mattress???

My 3 year old almost has the potty training down but she's had a couple accidents. We have a mattress cover protector thing but I can only rotate it out of the washer so fast! She's peed straight onto her mattress twice now and her room STINKS because of it. What can I do???
I tried Resolve and vacuuming it That didn't help. The mattress is brand new!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I just wet a washcloth and spray a large amount of Mr. Clean (or any cleaner) on the spot. I rub it in and then let air dry. It seems to work. You need to get another mattress pad, or put at least 3 beach towels under the sheet. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Try renting a steam cleaner or an upholstery cleaner.
    Then in the future, I would place a large garbage bag underneath the cover protector for extra protection. I did that with my step daughter that wet the bed a lot. It worked for us.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I had a problem similar to yours! If you can, use a steam cleaner! If not, shampoo!! Sounds weird but it worked for our bed when dd pee'd it! I looked up online and everything said rub shampoo on the area, then spot it out with a damp cloth! Otherwise vinegar is good for pee smells but I wouldn't want to put that on a new matress... I use it for pants or sheets to get the smell out of those... GL and I hope this helps!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:30 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Whenever there are baby accidents, I use 1 part white vinegar and 1 part water in a spray bottle. It eliminates most of the smell. Then I get a can of lysol (kills germs) and febreze (refreshens), until I can rent a cleaner.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 12:32 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Rent a carpet cleaner or use a hand held and put the stuff for getting rid of pet odors in the cleaner,,,, Then take the mattress outside and set it in the sun.... I used the vinegar stuff and it took out the smell but not the stain,, the carpet cleaner I rented had a hand held attachement and it worked awesome,,, but make SURE it is a sunny day,, because it will take a bit to dry,,, plus I cleaned my rugs,,,LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:44 PM on May. 26, 2010

• PS--I know there are exceptions to every rule but ALOT of kids can't hold their bladder while sleeping until age 5,,,don't let anyone tell you there is anything wrong with using a pull up at night or nap time,,, some kiddos have smaller bladders than others,,, hey its cheaper than the carpet cleaner,, LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:46 PM on May. 26, 2010

• kimigogo - I second that. Don't push the night thing. It will come when she's ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on May. 26, 2010

• my son was goin thru the same thing. take the mattres out side n wash it with whatever you prefer. n wash out with water hose. then let it dry n the sun till dry. after it dries take some smell good frebreeze or whichever you prefer n spray down.. big job but does work have great day

mscuevas

Answer by mscuevas at 11:51 AM on May. 28, 2010