Is it normal when bf to retain water, and feel puffy?

After I had my baby 6wks ago I felt great. My feet and legs started retaining a ton of fluid about a week after delivery. I went to the Dr and she said that it is normal, when bf. So that went away then about a week or so ago, I started feeling swollen and puffy again. Also I feel bloated, and just plain fat. This time though my feet and legs dont show any sign.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfeeding doesn't make your feet and legs retain water. It's normal for women to feel fat after they have a baby, breastfeeding or not.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:29 PM on May. 26, 2010

• ditto pp, breastfeeding is not the cause of the bloating. hormonal changes might be though.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Seeing as we don't know your history of pregnancy as in swelling, bp, etc we can't say what is normal. Retaining water could be the upped fluid intake but you say you don't see it so you aren't swelling I am going to assume. As for feeling fat yeah that is normal after a baby, bloating yes you are getting rid of all the "gunk" you built up for 9 months. I wouldn't worry too much.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 3:05 PM on May. 26, 2010

• No, this is not from breastfeeding! Talk to your Dr about it if you are concerned (maybe a different Dr?)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:37 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Did you have a c-section? After my son was born my legs were sooooo swollen with fluid. I left the hospital weighing the same as I did going in. I remember saying there better be a good 20 pounds of fluid stuck on me and sure enough a few weeks later I lost 22 pounds in 3 days!!!
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:52 PM on May. 26, 2010

• if it's bloating, you can find breastfeeding safe water pills. it makes you pee a lot though! but peeing out your water will make you feel less bloated. (: and you'll lose weight. lol
    DeathBat

Answer by DeathBat at 9:50 PM on May. 26, 2010

• No, it's not the breastfeeding.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:32 PM on May. 26, 2010

• That doesnt sound right
    tam84

Answer by tam84 at 4:32 PM on May. 27, 2010

• I remember retaining tons of water after my son's delivery. I didn't have toes, I had balloons with nails. The doc said it's normal and is just your body starting to release the fluids that you built up as a normal part of being pregnant.
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 5:44 PM on May. 27, 2010

• water retention is caused by the kidneys
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 7:38 PM on May. 27, 2010