Why is it that a SAHM cares for her child 24/7 but a full-time working mom is only caring for her child for a few hours a day? Doesn't the child of a SAHM sleep?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• well as a sahm of a really clingy 9 month old, i TRY to sleep. i am with my children 24/7 but i do not critisize mothers who have to work
    Anonymous

• what?
    Anonymous

• why is it that we accuse working mothers of letting daycare raise their kids, but we NEVER accuse a working father of it?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• The child of a SAHM may not take naps. But regardless if you are stay at home or a working mom---you are caring for that child 24/7. There are many factors into why it seems like a working mom is only spending a few hours a day with their child. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for when asking this question, but I hope you get your answer.
    trelmix

Answer by trelmix at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• who in the world says this? I have did both, it doesn't matter if you work or not you care for your child their entire life. That just being a mom. No mom is better just simply because they do or don't work. Working is caring for a child , your providing them things. Its a means to live. Some people have the pleasure of being able to stay home with their children as I do at this moment but that doesn't make me a better mom then a working mom.
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 12:27 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I stay at home and sure my baby sleeps, but I am still handling baby/family duties. Working on laundry, shower, cleaning up the floor, dishes, even making dessert (usually cake or trifle) in that time, etc... Because I know once she wakes up from that nap, I am back to attentive Mommy mode.
    MissMommyK

Answer by MissMommyK at 12:29 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Of course they do, but Im still a full time mom in the middle of the night, when I have to get up to deal with my son 4 times a night and on occasion my daughter. But a working mom does this too. I think people just mean that you spend so many quality hours with them. I definitly dont spend 24 hours of quality time a day with my kids. I guess if you work 8 hours a day you can say you are a fulltime mom 16/7 I dont know, I guess I dont understand the fight. Everyone works hard, whether at home or working. And we are all contributing and doing what we think is best for our kids.
    Anonymous

• lets see being a SAHM when my children are sleeping I'm working my ass of to get things clean. My 2 yr old is like a tornado and tears this place apart and my 10 month old cralws around getting into everything he can reach. My lazy ass husband cant pick up after himself or help if he's life depended on it. I'm on the go non-stop the only time I get a break is when I get to sleep at night. I only get more breaks now because I cant be on my feet right now and cant carry any weight. I usually just go back and forth on cafemom while cleaning so I can be part of the real world since I cant leave the house vey often with it always raining here in the great northwest
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:33 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Aside from the normal night sleeping, a SAHM is with their child roughly awake 12 hours, while a working mom is with their child 2-4 awake hours - depending of course on their work schedule.
    Anonymous

• Working mom or SAHM care for their children 24/7! It doesn't matter, a mother is a mother!! Working or not they still have the same top priority: their child/ren!!!
    As a SAHM with a part time job I get about 4 hours of sleep a night... For some reason I have to put both dd and dh to sleep before it's my turn! Also, dd rarely takes naps and when she does, somehow dh is always napping with her! So no naps for this SAHM.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:41 PM on May. 26, 2010