Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh No... I know I should have "rented" my house

My husband and I came into money to where we were able to pay off our house and then buy our new house .... one of my cousins friends needed a place to live and seemed very nice ( he & his g/f ) we gave them a pretty cheap rent ( $350 a place where rent is usually $450-500) ..and the house was in very good shape, new appliances, and all new windwos except in the living room was an old stained-glass window ( the middle was regular glass and the sides were stained glass) ....that was probably my favorite thing about the house .... it was about 6 feet wide, 4 feet high.....anyways they broke it ( they say they dont know how it happend)

Anyways there was nothing in the lease about fixing anything ( everything was new, and the g/f already said she would make sure the carpets stayed clean and everything) .... I know I can keep their $200 deposit but that wont even pay for half of a window that big.. Take them to court?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (9)
  • i wouldnt. court costs will exceed anything you will get for a window.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • that is one of the risks of renting

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • The thing is whether it was in the lease or not, it wasn't normal wear and tear on the place. You need to check with your state laws and see what they are because every state is different. However i know here in Ohio you can charge them for the repair in excess of their deposit.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 12:37 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Thanks Carmadsmom -- we are also in Ohio

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • you could mention it to them...tell them since, they were living in it, and it happened while they were living there, to fix it or pay it. let them take you to court instead. tell them you could up the rent on the house a month until it paid off, make up an agreement on paper and have them sign it stating the rent will go up until the window is paid off and if the agreement doesnt not follow through, a court date will be set to settle matters.

    if they dont after all of this agreement and talk then yes, take them to court.

    Answer by americansugar80 at 12:44 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • well what happened was :

    I didnt get any rent, and no calls were answered.... I went to the house to see what was going on to find trashbags taped to that window and them and their stuff, no where to be found ( they moved out) .......cannot even find them, so i thought the courts could...

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Idk if the courts could find them I live in Ohio and whenever I filed to take someone to court I had to provide an address. Maybe do a yellow book online search and see if a new address came up?

    Answer by StefInfection at 1:00 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • The lease does not have to explicitly state that they cannot trash your property. You can and should keep all of the deposit JUST TO COVER the 30 days worth of rent they should have paid to you after giving a 30 day notice. The window would then be additional.
    Do you have numbers for any other relative or friend that might know their whereabouts?
    Also I am rather sure that you can sue them and as a part of your settlement include your court costs because it is entirely their fault that you are incurring the costs.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on May. 26, 2010

  • Wait did you have a lease of a specified date? If they move out without notice they can be liable for the remaining rent on their lease. Just how it goes. Also you can talk to the postal service and see if they did a change of address form as it is public information.

    Answer by carmadsmom at 1:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.