Only 1% of whites marry blacks. Really??

I read an interesting article about interracial marriage on Yahoo News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100526/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_interracial_marriage#mwpphu-container

The 5th paragraph from the bottom really floored me. It stated that in 2008 1% of U.S. born whites married blacks. Where I live it seems very common to see white/black couples. Does this statistic seem accurate to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Seeing black/white couples doesn't mean they are married. The statistic you quoted was on marriage, not relationships.
    Anonymous

• Considering black people only make up 12% of the population, that's quite a few. If every single black person married a white person only 15% of white people would be married to black people.

I'm sure there are plenty of black people that wouldn't consider marrying a white person, so that's not likely to happen soon.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• omg what's next? Are we now a racist country for this? Most people gravitate towards people of similar culture, upbringing, family types, religion. There are so many things that you try and get as close to the same. But in this it should be different. I dont care if you are white and date a black person, or vice versa. But it just makes sense that most people will gravitate towards those that are most similar to them. That doesnt make then racist.

Anonymous

• Are you forgetting about the numerous smaller towns where this is more of a rarity, than the norm? And, as a PP said, being in a relationship does not equate marriage.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure the % is much higher if you only look at 20 something age people. Consider that there are people in their 90's that not only already married somebody else, but were raised when that wasn't done, plus all the under 20 age group that is part of the population but not old enough to consider marrying and then the fact that so many 20-35 year old just live together without the piece of paper and yeah that number is probably accurate.

Anonymous

• It really depends on the population and race density of the area. In my area, there is a large Native American population but a small black population. You are more likely to see NA/white couples here than in an area than AA/white.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Who really cares?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:46 PM on May. 26, 2010

• This intrigues me. Coming from my school days when mixing was so rare. You never saw a white guy with an Asian, now I see them all over like 1 in 5 almost. I don't believe these numbers, it must be higher. But that must be reflective of my area. I always felt i need to get outta here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on May. 27, 2010

• I don't know how 1:31 can say she doesn't believe these numbers when almost 1 in 5 white guys in her area is with an Asian woman when the question says whites and blacks ONLY. Another reason the number isn't that high. Some of the white folks who might have considered marrying a black person would also consider marrying an Asia, an Arab, or an Hispanic. What other races are there? I must be forgetting some. Oh what if the white people are one Christian and one Jew. Do they get points for being mixed? Do you see how categorizing people IS racist. I'm voting for the HUMAN race.  When we stop keeping track of such stupidity then we will have overcome racism!

Anonymous