Is there a spray or something to put on in or around the outside garbage cans to keep the raccoons out of them? Nasty critters.

They tear up the garbage every single night. Sometimes, I think it would be easier to just make them all a plate of food and let it sit out for them,lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My mom puts out gummi candy and chewing/bubble gum for them. They can't eat it very well, so they then avoid your area. It works! She had probs with coons in the garden, eating all her stuff. Someone told her to put out sticky, gummy stuff, they love the taste, but can't eat it well, so once they figure out that is what happens, they leave that area alone after that. Sounds weird, but it is an inexpensive, non-toxic, non-lethal repellent.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:19 PM on May. 26, 2010

• They carry rabies,, get a giant plastic garbage can with a lid,, also Red Pepper works,, they sell it in bulk at a garden store!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:08 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Haha! This totally reminds me of that movie the great outdoors. Sorry I'm no help.
    Anonymous

• When i visited my mother she had a racoon that was tearing up her trash/window screens/leaving bite marks on the deep freezer.
    my mother left the ranch to us for a week(nice! btw) and one morning we came outside and the trash can, a big one had a lock on it, had a hole in it, the raccoon had bit thru the top and still got inside and made a huge mess!
    that was it! my man went outside and made a trail of cheetos going towards the trash can, set the trash can out away from the house, sat in the darkness w/ a rifle. when it came he shot it a few times and killed it.
    _mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 1:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• well, guess thats one way to do it right,mimi! lol.
    only problem is, none of us have good aim, we'd probably accidentally shoot ourselves,lol.
    Anonymous

• ooo...GREAT idea 29again! I'm gong to give that a try tonight!!! think Bubalicious would work the best?
    Anonymous

• Put them in the garage or build a storage unit (made of wood, similiar in look to a dumpster with a door in front for easy removaal of the trash cans for taking them to the curb). That should work.
    Anonymous