My son is 5 and has never went to public school.. Where and how do I find a home school that is affordable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• why dont you just put him in a public school? or a private school? hes going to miss out on so much being homeschooled. he will never get to be on the school football team, or go to prom..
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I'm not sure I understand the question. If he is only 5 of course he hasn't gone to public school. What do you mean where do you find a home school that is affordable? Home schooling is in your home and free. You need to go to your state's department of education web site to see what is required of home schools. In Indiana all parents have to do is keep attendance.

Arizona has K-12 online and it's free. It's not really home schooling, it's another form of public schooling. Other states may be doing this also.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• if you homeschool him you can put him in sports. There are lots of things he can do to be around other kids! I plan on homeschooling our twins until they ask to go to school. Probably Jr high. Good Luck. They are only three so I havent looked for anything yet. just look it up on line or check around Cafemom for homeschooling groups.
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 1:23 PM on May. 26, 2010

• How many kids get to be on the football team? Many school systems let home schooled kids on sports teams, some have been forced to by law. We home schooled and my sons were on the tennis teams and went to the prom. They were very social, active, and popular.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:25 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Our school district charges a child that is home schooled a fee like they do other school districts that are wanting to pair with them to participate. Its a chunk of change. They want to encourage families to be part of the public school system. So each individual family that home schools is treated like another school district. We had a family that wanted their child to participate on the varsity swim team and it cost them a lot of money to make that happen. I know each school district does it differently so you may want to check on that before you make your decision. Another family wanted their children to participate in phy ed and they had to pay a similar fee. Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:30 PM on May. 26, 2010

• A homeschool child playing sports via a public school system is STATE by STATE and SCHOOL DISTRICT by SCHOOL DISTRICT thing. Not all states allow it; or some states leave it up to the individual school district, etc. As for the OP's original question. First, you'll want to learn YOUR STATE laws regarding homeschooling. Second) You'll want to learn about the different methods of homeschooling; Third) Decide what you want to spend on curriculum. Four) Find curriculum that meet your budget. There are several free or low cost options out there.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:41 PM on May. 26, 2010

• As far as I know, homeschooling is FREE. You just want to check with your states guidlines if you want to homeschool
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:50 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Homeschooling can be free or low cost, but it can also cost THOUSANDS of dollars. The cost is really depend on the curriculum that is used. Some homeschooling groups co-ops even charge fees to be apart of the group. Often there are classes at community colleges and museums that are designed for homeschool children and they cost money. We homeschool and spend $300 on curriculum, $200 on co-ops/homeschooling group fees, and UNKOWN addition money on field trips, classes, and other activities that we participate through the year.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Homeschooling can be free or it can cost up to thousands of dollars. Our homeschooling costs us somewhere in the middle. I use a combination of an online curriculum, textbooks, free resources from the internet and hands-on projects. The internet is full of free and/or low-cost homeschooling resources. PM me if you want links to free internet resources. I have a bunch.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• he will never get to be on the school football team, or go to prom..

For the five thousandth time Purpulbutterfly, you know NOTHING about homeschooling, so butt out!! FYI, homeschooled kids CAN play on the football team, or the soccer team or the swim team or be in the marching band or anything else they want to do. Take your uninformed opinion somewhere else.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:09 PM on May. 26, 2010