Take the time to read this (it's short!): interesting presentation of the source of the great vaccine debate...

http://tallguywrites.livejournal.com/148012.html

Even if you're usually not factually-inclined, this presents them in a more digestible form (it's a comic).
Please, if you don't get factually-grounded information here, get factually-grounded information somewhere.

Sincerely,
A Mother Concerned for the Welfare of Us All

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on May. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• Heh heh. And Dr. Wakefield just lost his medical license in Britain this week.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2010

• The reason people may think the MMR is responsible for autism is that autism symptoms often start at about the same age as the MMR shot is given. Fear of autism is not a sound reason for giving your child immunizations. There are other reasons to delay or not give your child some immunizations.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 PM on May. 26, 2010

• ITA. Who has the agenda now?

Anonymous

• Thanks for this :) Though probably the most willing to read this and respond already agree with you :)
    Anon 211, what does ITA mean? Sorry if it's a dumb question.
    Anonymous

• ITA is usually I totally agree...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 3:08 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My answer is this...

I would rather my children had Measles, Mumps AND Rubella than the vaccine which MIGHT protect them from it...

And my reasons have NOTHING to do with Autism! They have to do with the FACT that if a person today contracts these illnesses and so much as goes to the doctor for treatment, they have a 99.9% chance of survival and being 100% cured...

The MMR vaccine however has an injury rate of 1 in 6 - A FACT that even the CDC does not deny...

Why would anyone risk even a minor injury from the vaccine when risking the illness itself has a higher rate of recovery?
    Anonymous

• You (like so many anti-vaxers) are intentionally misreprenting the facts. The "injury rate" of 1 in 6 that you claim is the incidence of fever. Not what I, or many others, would consider an "injury". In fact, it's listed under the much more accurate title of "Mild Problems. Seizures are rated at about 1 in 3000 and serious allergic reaction listed as less than 1 in a million.

You do nothing to further your cause when you give partial information and intentionally try to make things seem worse than they are. It makes you seem dishonest and as if you have an agenda to push, rather than presenting the full information. I'd much rather risk my child getting a mild fever than risk them getting measles, mumps or rubella.

See the actual CDC pamphlet here:
    http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-mmr.pdf
    Anonymous

• ^^^ wanted to clarify myself by saying the 1 in 3000 seizure rate is for febrile seizures, not epilepsy or anything.
    Anonymous

• Wow, I'm amazed by the misinformation presented by anon 3:56. But even using her definition of "injured"as meaning having a fever or something more less than 20% of kids who receive a vaccine are "injured" while 100% of kids with measles, mumps and rubella are "injured". Her reasoning not to vaccinate makes absolutely no sense at all. And I'm sure the family of the 14-year-old who DIED from mealses would be interested in her bogus claim that measles is cured 100% of the time. 

Anonymous