I did not want to post this in newcomers because of hate mail but ask a mom who was raised by two gay men

I was adopted by two gay men as an infant. I wanted to do this in newcomers but one time someone found out and sent me some awful hate mail and I wanted to give people a chance to ask questions on my childhood

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Wow, that's really nice of you OP. I don't know why anyone would send you hate mail, except that they have hate for anything that isn't like them. I don't really have any questions for you (I am guessing that you grew up in a normal household) but think that it's big of you to share your first hand experience with your own situation. I hope everyone is respectful here.
    Anonymous

• That is terrible. I will never understand hate mail. It's juvenile and not one bit productive.

I have some questions. What was your childhood like? Did you face a lot of discrimination? Are you glad they adopted you?
    Anonymous

• That makes you like the character Rachael Berry on Glee. Awesome. No questions...more power to you. Love it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:46 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i knew a child from china adopted by lesbians - when we were making a class book we made an international page because teh kids were from all over the world.. she said her fav thing about america is that she got 2 moms! did you also enjoy having a different family structure... btw i had a SAH dad in the 80's and was seen as a little weird for it but i wouldnt change it for the world! men should do housework! or whoever isnt working should do it.... anyways.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:50 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My childhood was fairly normal but when it was different it REALLY was different. we attended a lot of gay pride events and stuff like that. I never faced discrimination from KIDS growing up it was always their parents who were mean to me. I had a girl who was my best friend and she could not play with me anymore once they found out about my two dads. Apparently gay =evil molesters lol . Im so glad they adopted me they gave me a beautiful life. im 21 now and once of my dads STILL call me everyday to ask if I need anything.
    Anonymous

• amalia that is so cool! I loved having two dads I hated when people asked me which one is the girl .They are BOTH men
    Anonymous

• is there anything they couldnt do or teach you that you wished one was female for??
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Amalia, the thing is I did wish there was a female parent at times because of stuff like bra shopping . one of my dads kevin is really stereotypical manly so If someone even mentioned the word period around him i wanted to die but my other dad chase I never had a problem telling him stuff like that. when i bought my first bra I was really little and didnt need one i just wanted one because i thought they were pretty and the woman who was working there. was like a girl should be here with her mother not her dad. that made it worse for me
    Anonymous

• also bringing home my first boyfriend was really awkward
    Anonymous

I'm sorry to read about the parents being mean. There is no excuse for adults to behave that way to a child. It's good you have such wonderful parents though. I think it's sweet your dad still calls you every day to ask if you need anything.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:00 PM on May. 26, 2010