Is it odd that she asks for food all day?

My 3 year old literally says she is starving ALL DAY!
For instance, this morning at 9 am I scrambled 5 eggs for her and her 15 month old sister, the 3 yo ate the majority of the eggs, along with a full cup of juice. At 10 she was saying "Im starvin" again. So, I gave her a piece of wheat bread and water. Well here we are an hour and a half later and she is "starving" The kid will sneak dog food if I do not feed her when she asks for food. She weighs 30lbs, not sure her height but I know she is in the 50th percentile for weight and like 30th for height. Is this normal 3 yo behavior or should I be concerned? It has been going on for about a month now daily.

SweetPea05

Asked by SweetPea05 at 1:40 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did she only get some eggs at breakfast and then only one piece of bread? If so, that is why she is starved. My son at the age got eggs, toast, sausage on his plate, or a huge bowl of oatmeal or A couple waffles with PB on them and maybe some eggs too. He had a well rounded meal with a few items. He was full after, then, he could manage until lunch. If all she got was a share of 5 eggs, then she really didn't get enough to be full. And one toast won't fill her up the rest of the way either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:44 PM on May. 26, 2010

• It doesn't matter how much she gets, she always says she is starving. She ate the eggs and said she was full. Then an hour later told me she was hungry again. She ate more for breakfast than I did (2 eggs and some toast) her sister ate hardly any of the eggs so my 3yo probably at 3-4 eggs herself, with toast and then another piece of bread an hour later... I don't see how she could possibly need to eat more than I do for a meal....
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:49 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Some kids eat like that. Unless her weight is way superceeding her height it isn't so bad. Just make sure you only offer healthy foods and it won't be an issue. My son is super skinny, but, when he is on a kick, he can out eat anyone I have ever seen. When he was about 3, he could eat 2 Sonic hamburgers at a sitting. I can't do that and I am WAY bigger.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Holy Cow lol! My friend does have a son like that though! She doesn't get junk, she is a chunky monkey but she right where she should be on her growth chart, and her wieght is in the 50th percentile so that is average right? A friend had said that maybe I should say something to her Dr, because when she was watching her all last week while I worked she was CONSTANTLY asking for food, I mean she will eat and literally say she is starving twenty minutes later... her lunch will be like a PB&J with some cheese or apple slices and milk, she will say she is full but then beg for food 20 or so minutes later, and we have had to lock up the dog food because she will just go eat that if we say no! It is starting to seem kind of excessive but I am not sure if this is just typical 3 year old behavior or cause for concern....
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 1:58 PM on May. 26, 2010

• That part isn't really typical.

Have you tried just keeping her occupied and holding her off...Like saying oh we'll eat in a minute, how about right now we finish painting/coloring/reading first and we can eat afterwards...slowly weaning her off eating nonstop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Yes, I always try to distract her and if that doesn't work offer something healthy, if she won't take it she can wait til meal time. I rarely just give in to her unless she will eat like an apple or some grapes or something. It is just so frustrating, because I feed her regularly, she gets good filling food, she gets good snacks, yet she is ALWAYS asking for food. If I sit down with her to color, it works to distract her for five minutes or so then its "I'm starving" again. Ugh!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 2:16 PM on May. 26, 2010

• No, this isn't normal for a three year old. She is eating either out of boredom, to surpress feelings, or because she knows she can get away with getting more food. Either way, this isn't a healthy habit to enable and it should be remedied.

First try feeding her a little more at the meal itself, rather then waiting an hour for her to ask for more. Make eggs, a piece of toast, and maybe a piece of fruit. Then after she eats then send her off to play. Make sure she is being entertained. Put on her favorite educational TV show, let her color, let her play outside, do crafts with her. If she's preoccupied with other things she's less likely to remember to ask for more food. Unless of course she's soo set in her habit that she does it automatically.
    When you've given her a full meal and she asks for food an hour later, then let her know it's not time to eat. Give her a glass of water or maybe some milk (Contin)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:18 PM on May. 26, 2010

• (Contin) and sending her on her way. When you instill in her that she doesn't need to eat every hour-two hours then she'll eventually give in. When you fill her up at breakfast/lunch (etc) then she'll be less likely to want more food an hour-two hours later. You have to be the dominant party in this situation though, because if it were up to her she would literally eat all day. Which is a sure fire way to her being obese and having life long health issues. She is young enough where you can stop this behaviour now to save her from a long hard road of obesity.

As far as the dog food goes. Only feed your dog when he's ready to eat. Don't leave food sitting in his bowl, because animals naturally will eat all ay if they have it before them. Leading them to being obese and unhealthy. If the dog food is where the toddler can reach it, then lock it up or put it where she can't reach it. Be firm and be consistant.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:21 PM on May. 26, 2010

• We used to just keep the big bag of food by the back door with a scoop in it to so we could feed the dogs at feeding time, but since she kept getting into it we moved it into our panty which is now locked.

And you hit the nail on the head as far as my worries go, I DON'T give into her everytime she asks because I DON'T want her to be obese! The majority of DH's family is obese and I do not want my kids going down that road at all! That is reason number one we don't even keep unhealthy snacks in the house. I am going to try and feed her more at meal times, the trouble is she will say "I'm full" and stop eating and then want more later! I am so concerned as to why she is constantly asking me for food, could 3 year olds really do that to suppress feelings? I don't even know what she would be trying to suppress... I am really worried about her!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I think you aren't feeding her enough. She isn't overweight at 30 lbs. My 2 yr old weighs 30 lbs. This morning for breakfast he ate 2 scrambled eggs, a bowl of cheerios, 3 strawberries, and a slice of turkey.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:52 PM on May. 26, 2010