Do you let your child eat unpaid merchandise at the grocery store?

My daughter is 3 and as I am shopping she will ask if she can open something up and start to eat it. I tell her no and that she must wait till we pay for it and just as I say this I see moms taking their 2 and 3 kids to the baked good section and start eating donuts and pastries. These are school aged kids mind you and not toddlers or pre- schoolers! So infuriating to see that while you are teaching your child to do the right thing others let their kids run wild!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, but I let them have samples (bakery usually has cookie or roll samples or tortillas). It drives me nuts when I see people doing this. I have a friend that does this and she frequently has credit / debit cards that don't clear. I would be really pissed if I were to see someone putting an open bag of munchies on the belt and then finding out they couldn't pay for it. It's the same thing as shoplifting, IMO.

Anonymous

• no,I still consider that stealing.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:52 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If it's something that we pay for by weight, no, I don't let them eat it before it's paid for. But if it's something like chips or whatnot that has a flat pay rate sure, I have let them open it... I mean, we pay for it either way. I don't see it as stealing because we DO pay for it...

Hell, when my son was 2, he wet himself while we were in the store. Not only did I open a pack of diapers and use one, but I got him new pants as well... When we got to the register I still paid for the entire pack of diapers and the new pants.. Even though he was wearing them... Why not? The point is that they get paid for.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:53 PM on May. 26, 2010

• YES. I always go get my daughter a donut or something from the pastries section. Of course I do let the cashier know she had a donut (and me to sometimes.!)

It gets paid for. So yahh.
    Anonymous

• No, nothing gets eaten until it is paid for. My parents never ate things while shopping and they would not let us. There is no reason why you can not wait until you are out of the store with your purchases, to start munching.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 1:55 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I guess if you know that you can pay for it it's one thing, but like anon before said, if there is a chance that they can't pay for it they shouldn't open it.
    Anonymous

• I never let my kids eat unpaid food. We pay for it them we eat it. You should feed your child before you go to the store.

Answer by louise2 at 1:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I don't let them but it doesnt bother me if I see another mom or dad doing it, I understand the need to calm a kid down and just get through the shopping trip sometimes,lol. But you know...some grocery stores will let kids have a free piece of lunchmeat from the deli counter or a free donut or pastry from the bakery.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:57 PM on May. 26, 2010

• OP here~
    I completely understand circumstances like what Sabrina describes. Anything with a barcode can be paid for. But eating a half bag of grapes and then paying for only half is not right.
    Anonymous

• haha yeah i have bad periods and i had to run get a box of tampons one time i didn't have time to stop and pay for them before i opened them but i did pay for it after i got out....my child might get a drink and drink before we pay for it she never has asked to open any of the food when were shopping i do taste the grapes (weigh able item) before i buy them sometimes they are not good other times they are really good and you might want to get more
    Anonymous