Hello, my son tyler is 21 months old and he is already refusing to sleep in his crib, he screams and then climbs out. i feel like he is to young still for a toddler bed, but maybe not this is my 1st and only child so im lost.. all advice would be greatly appreciated!

MnA08

Asked by MnA08 at 2:29 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my ds was out of the crib before 2, he will be fine
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

• If he can climb out of his crib he needs a toddle bed. I moved both of my boys as soon as they started climbing out. The first at around 14 months and my youngest at 11.5 months.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:31 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My oldest moved to a twin bed from his crib before he was 2.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son went through kinda the same thing. Now i don't know if this is right, but this is what i did. I bought the toddler bed when my son was about 22months and i kept putting him in it. He would cry and come into my room, and i would get right up and put him back. every time!!! after like a week of this he got the point. try this with your crib situation. it may help.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• You know your child... if you don't think he's ready to be out of a crib he may not be... There is a thing called a crib tent, I honestly don't know much about them, but I think they're designed to make climbing out impossible... You could look into that or just put his crib mattress on the floor, baby proof his room, and put a baby gate in the doorway. Good luck!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• oh ok so he isnt to young, good.. im just scared for him to get up in the middle of the night and wander lol! maybe we will keep a baby gate in the door way of his room. thanks so much!
    MnA08

Answer by MnA08 at 2:39 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Sounds like he is ready. If you're ready, go ahead and try it, though it doesn't seem to get much better right away. Like other responses my first child was in toddler bed before age two (she was 16 to 18 months), but she never climbed out of crib either it was because I was pregnant again and too difficult to get her in and out of crib on my own comfortably. The key to the toddler bed to keep them there ---- is to keep putting him there. It's rough for the first couple days but if you're consistant, they'll get the hint. GL!
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 2:41 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Oh! We also had to rid her room of toys and everything too so there was less to entice her to be out of bed at night - and moved all her clothes to the closet. After she turned two and was better about things, we slowly brought things back into the room, but it was too difficult with things there for her to stay in bed for naps/bed, etc. Bedtime usually wasn't bad, she was wore out from the day, naptime was more of an issue.
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 2:43 PM on May. 26, 2010

• ok i think we are going to try it out and see how he does, when its bed time he already tells me big boy bed mommy! i think leaving him there and getting him to stay there will be the real challenge! He at that age where he starting to use that cry when you dont know if its something to run to or not. i dont like hearing him cry :( but its a part of life lol
    MnA08

Answer by MnA08 at 2:43 PM on May. 26, 2010

• THANKYOU ALL! sometime i feel like its only me!
    MnA08

Answer by MnA08 at 2:44 PM on May. 26, 2010