Do your kid know how to tie their shoes?

Please ladies don't be cruel but mine don't they try but haven't got it yet :(
they don't even know how to ride bikes :(. Ages 6 & 8
My dh and Iare planning to go somewhere secluded to teach them on riding bikes wish us luck.
No bashing... T is never too late.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on May. 26, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter was 6 when she learned to tie her shoes. She's now 7, but still can't ride her bike. Don't worry, they'll get it!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:55 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I taught my son to tie his shoes in a matter of minutes at age 5. I assumed it would take forever, but, was surprised at how easy it was. He learned to ride a bike at age 6..not to hard for that either.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on May. 26, 2010

• my oldest learned to tie his shoes at age 4. but my middle child (who is 4 now) can't even put his shoes on! neither of them can ride a bike without training wheels. but it's no big deal. they'll all learn eventually.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:13 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Honestly my almost 4 yo has never owned a pair of lace up shoes. She has been putting her own shoes on since age 2. They are Velcro or sandals that buckle.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:20 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son is living with autism, and his fine motor skills are not good. Tying shoes is a major challenge for him, but we've been working on it since he was about 5. He's almost 12, and he's almost got it. In the meantime, we are so grateful for velcro and elastic shoes!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 3:32 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My son is 4 and he tries to do it but still gets tangled up. I just put him in shoes with velcro or slip on shoes. It seems that the vast majority of shoes for his age don't have laces anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:36 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I made ours learn at 5. If he had his way he wouldn't know how to.
    Anonymous

• My daughter taught herself when she was four.

The elementary school she attended has shoe-tying as part of the curriculum. They have a big ceremony, in front of the whole school, on "shoe tying day". It is so cute to see the little munchkins do synchronized shoe-tying

Answer by rkoloms at 4:58 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My 6 yo has been tieing his shoes for a year but he's afraid to try to ride a bicycle!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:52 PM on May. 26, 2010

• My ten year old CAN tie his shoes but has difficulty. It's a motor control issue that's tied to his Asperger's Syndrome. Bikes are a bit beyond him but he's good on a scooter and experiments with a skateboard.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:20 PM on May. 26, 2010