More positives or more negatives? (Pregnancy test question)

Are there more false positives or false negatives? Hubby and I were talking the other day and we couldn't remember which was more frequent.

And just for kicks and giggles, do you know anyone who had a false result either way?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 2:52 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• uhm very rarely do you get a false positive. You have to have HCG in your system to get a positive. It is the amount that hormone that the test needs that makes false negatives common because the levels vary for each women at the time of pregnancy.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 2:56 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I believe it's false negatives, I don't think I've heard of false positives.

I've had false negatives. Both my pregnancies the at-home tests didn't register the pregnancy until I was weeks pregnant - and the first time I went to the OB they didn't even catch that I was, two weeks later I went back in after I did get a positive at-home. Doc wasn't pleased with me, and took blood samples. I was already six weeks along.
    pd4now82

Answer by pd4now82 at 2:59 PM on May. 26, 2010

• i had like 5 false positives, but it was because of cysts when i was on mirena.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 3:14 PM on May. 26, 2010

• I've had 2 false neg. and both times resulted in me having a baby! lol... my preg. dont read on a stick untill about 6 weeks.
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 3:57 PM on May. 26, 2010