? for natural moms

What do u use for sunscreen?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 3:02 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• California Baby Sunscreen
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:03 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Last year for my newborn I bought a sun parasol from onestepahead.com because she was an April baby and we were at the park every day with her big sister. If you're talking about a newborn, that's an option. It's only $20 which isn't much more than a couple of bottles of sunscreen and I felt great about using it.

We use California Baby, too (and I looked into it a LOT), however, I must say that really, no sunscreen is going to be both effective and natural. California baby has micro-particles vs. chemicals in the "regular" sunscreens. Both are relatively untested in terms of risks for cancer. If my child were fair-skinned I'd still use it daily but since we're darker, we only use it for long outings or when near water. Clothing does NOT protect against skin cancer unless it's UV clothing.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:14 PM on May. 26, 2010

• PS a Sun Parasol is a UV-preventing treated parasol. Plus it keeps baby in the shade.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:15 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Uranium is natural. I hate the n-word

Answer by rkoloms at 4:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• Okay, I think she is just using it shorthand for, "without any manmade elements or off-use of known elements (e.g. uranium to make it more shiny although we know uranium is not safe for skin". Yes it is irritating, but unless you have a better suggestion, is there really any point? Kind of like using "they" for the third-person gender-neutral singular pronoun. Grammar nazis hate it but lots of languages have way weirder pronoun systems (German has the same third-person feminine and plural pronouns...). So please, unless you can contribute, what is the point???
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:49 AM on May. 27, 2010

• It may not be natural enough for you, but I like Burt's Bees sunscreen for babies.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:17 PM on May. 27, 2010