Question for Vegetarians :)

We have been meatless for a few months but the more I learn the more I see there are animals products in a lot more then just meat :)

What are other food products you stay away from?

I have read sugar, jello & marshmallows.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on May. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I am an obsessive label reader. You can make "jello" with agar-agar. Fluff is vegetarian. There are vegetarian marshmallows that you can buy or make.

Cochneal and carmine are two of the many food colors made from ground up bugs; I have a great recipe for gold fish crackers, if you would prefer to avoid them.

Conventional white sugar is processed with bones.

The list goes on.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on May. 26, 2010

• well, i am not THAT strict i guess. i mean, i still eat eggs, milk, etc, so im not VEGAN. do you mean that everything seems to have THOSE types of animal products? cuz vegan and veggie are different.
    i try to stay away from super processed products. and i don't eat straight soy (milk or tofu, etc) b/c it really isn't good for you.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 3:34 PM on May. 26, 2010

• We eat organic dairy minus milk for that we drink Almond Milk. And we have our own chickens and will eat their eggs. No we stay away from soy too.

I read that jello has animal parts in them? And sugar and marshmallow have animal bones in them......so I just wondered what else has animals part hidden in them :)
    Anonymous

• :49 was the OP :)
    Anonymous

• Anything with Gelatin in it - which is quite a lot. Some yogurts have it in, a lot of desserts have it.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:51 PM on May. 26, 2010

• SO we are looking for gelatin in the ingredient list. Is that ever called something else?
    Anonymous

• Hmm I wonder if gelatin is in organic food? We eat from the organic section only.
    Anonymous

• rkoloms, can you post your goldfish recipe here? I'd love it.
    Anonymous